cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summarized information about messages in ABAP Stack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

Our integration manager is interested in having a summarized information about the PI system. She wants to have something like the SXMB_MONI but grouped by bussinnes applications, external systems, and showing statistics and fancy numbers, you know, everything managers love

She asked me to investigate a little bit. I had never got into the code of the SXMB_MONI. I have seen that the reading of the messages is done by FM SXMB_SELECT_MESSAGES_NEW. Does anyone know the limitations of this FM? How deep into the past does it go?

Is there any table that keeps summarized information in the ABAP stack by Interface and status, something like what you get in the Message Monitoring? Because I guess that if I use SXMB_SELECT_MESSAGES_NEW to look up the information for a whole year, it may take ages. However this is done by the Message Monitoring in seconds, and that information is all I need.

I hope I have been clear and thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Pablo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After doing a lot of research, there is not summarized information in the ABAP stack. It is only available in the Java Stack from where the Message Monitoring is fed.

Thank you all for the help.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo,

You can create variants based on different third parties in SXMB_MONI.

In message monitoring in RWB, Adapter engine (Database), you can save filters and it can give you better statistics.

If you want to customize sxmb_moni, you will have to copy the report and customize the selection screen to suit what management needs. Depends if it is must have or nice to have.

Ambrish

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Hareesh. That guy is using the FM I talked about: SXMB_SELECT_MESSAGES_NEW. But to gather information of a whole month or year I guess it won't be much efficient. I´ll investigate it's function group to see if I can find a more useful function.

Ambrish: I don't want to copy or customize the SXMB_MONI. It has too much information and functions that I don't need. I will be better to create a Z_Report using standard functions. I want a functionality more similar to the Message Monitoring of the Runtime Workbench, something that gives me in seconds the information of a whole month or year.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo,

In runtime workbench, you do have the option to see weekly/monthly/yearly data right?

and of course as i mentioned, to get additional details you can even go for performance monitoring to get these details.

I don't think you can achieve it by customizing sxmb_moni report in case if you have archive/delete jobs scheduled

Regards,

Hareesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, in runtime workbench I have that info, and it only takes seconds to show up. What I'd like to know is if there is any function module that can give me that very same information to use it in an ABAP report.

As you mentioned, I'm afraid that maybe FM SXMB_SELECT_MESSAGES_NEW won't return archived messages....

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you can use that FM if you have delete jobs scheduled in your system.

Just a suggestion - you can write a custom report to get the required details(sender system, receiver system,interface,message count..etc) using the above FM and store it into a custom table. you can schedule it to run once in a day..

Later whenever you need aggregated details simply you can refer to these table and fetch the details.

Regards,

Hareesh

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo,

You have to make many things into consideration before you go about making a custom report. Its also about message failures, messages cancelled, message reprocessed in a production environment. I think it is a lot of design work to make it accurate. You cannot rely on a daily update even if you go with custom table. It looks like a lot of design work. When regular jobs have deleted/archived messages, can management reply on a custom tables to come up with accurate figures with nothing to validate the data from...

I am not trying to dissuade you from what you are trying to achieve but my suggestion would be use the existing functionality in PI and convince management to use the filters to come up with details.

hope it helps!

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

You approach using a custom table sounds interesting, although a little bit complex to implement. If the information in that table is going to be aggregated, then (as Ambrish said) it will be hard to handle cancellations once the information has already been aggregated. But I don't discard the idea, I will talk about it with my manager. Maybe instead of running it every day, I can run a whole week, a week after the week has finished. I mean, if today is Saturday May 18th, I can aggregate messages from May 4th till may 10th.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

I understand your concern and you are absolutely right that it might be inaccurate. I will discuss with my manager the degree of accuracy she wants. Maybe to improve the accuracy I can store the information in the custom table weekly instead of daily and a whole week after the week has finished. I mean, if today is Saturday May 18th, I can aggregate messages from May 4th till may 10th.

I will also try to convince her to use existing functionality.

But, don't you agree that the information we get in the Message Monitoring must be stored somewhere? There should be a way to access it.

Kind regards,

Pablo

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pablo,

Yes we do have table in PI which stores these messages and custom functionality can be used to derive information. please take a look. http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/XI+Tables

At the end of the day, it also about the amount of effort it would take and the benefit you achieve by doing this custom functionality.

Cheers,

Ambrish