cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server (Sybase database)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am installing solman 7.1 on linux with Sybase database but installation is stuck in phase "Setup ASE Database Server" please see attach screen shot.

I search sap note on market place but did not find any solution on this.

Could you please suggest me solution for this error, here I have attached all logs files and error screen shot.

WARNING 2013-05-15 13:38:45.462

Execution of the command "/tmp/sapinst_instdir/SOLMAN71/SYSTEM/SYB/CENTRAL/AS/sqlsrv.sh" finished with return code 4. Output:

INFO 2013-05-15 13:38:45.472

Removed file /tmp/sapinst_instdir/SOLMAN71/SYSTEM/SYB/CENTRAL/AS/sqlsrv.res.

ERROR 2013-05-15 13:38:45.492

CJS-00030  Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server. Refer to trace file sapinst_dev.log for further information.

ERROR 2013-05-15 13:38:45.493

MUT-03025  Caught ESAPinstException in module call: .

ERROR 2013-05-15 13:38:45.655

FCO-00011  The step syb_step_setup_db_server with step key |NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|onehost|0|NW_CreateDBandLoad|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdbandload|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdb|0|NW_SYB_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|SYB_DB_CONTEXT|0|syb_step_setup_db_server was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server. Refer to trace file sapinst_dev.log for further information.).

INFO 2013-05-15 13:38:45.954

Creating file /tmp/sapinst_instdir/SOLMAN71/SYSTEM/SYB/CENTRAL/AS/__instana_tmp.xml.

sapinst_dev.log:

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.616

SAPInst calls the LogInquirer. The output of the LogInquirer can be found in file sapinst_loginquirer.log.

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.743 [iaxxgenimp.cpp:745]

CGuiEngineImp::showMessageBox

<html> <head> </head> <body> <p> An error occurred while processing option <i>SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Support Release 1 > SAP Systems > SAP Sybase ASE > Central System > Central System( Last error reported by the step: Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server. Refer to trace file sapinst_dev.log for further information.)</i>. You can now: </p> <ul> <li> Choose <i>Retry</i> to repeat the current step. </li> <li> Choose <i>Log Files</i> to get more information about the error. </li> <li> Stop the option and continue with it later. </li> </ul> <p> Log files are written to <code>/tmp/sapinst_instdir/SOLMAN71/SYSTEM/SYB/CENTRAL/AS</code>. </p> </body></html>

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.744 [iaxxgenimp.cpp:1259]

CGuiEngineImp::acceptAnswerForBlockingRequest

Waiting for an answer from GUI

sapinst_loginquirer.log

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.624

SAPInst calls the LogInquirer because of an error in execution of step |NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|onehost|0|NW_CreateDBandLoad|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdbandload|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdb|0|NW_SYB_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|SYB_DB_CONTEXT|0|syb_step_setup_db_server.

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.641

Call block:CallBackInCaseOfAnErrorDuringStepExecution

function:CallTheLogInquirer

is validator: true

WARNING    2013-05-15 13:38:47.643 [iaxxejshlp.cpp:150]

Could not get property IDs of the JavaScript object.

ERROR      2013-05-15 13:38:47.643 [iaxxejsctl.cpp:367]

FJS-00010  Could not get value for property .

TRACE      2013-05-15 13:38:47.736

A problem occurs during execution the LogInquirer callback. SAPinst will switch back to the standard behavior.

Thanks

Abu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I has same issue while installing NW 7.31 JAVA system and it resolved after setting 777 permissions on installation media.

Hope this helps.

BR,

Tejraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Recently I instaled Ehp1 of NW 7.3 with Sybase ASE 1570 got same problem with you,

my solution is as following:

#* set max memory size to unlimited *

ulimit -m unlimited

#* set virtual memory to unlimited *

ulimit -v unlimited

then execute sapinst again and the problem was solved.

HTH, Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check your DUMP from where you are installing.

e.g  "/sybase/DUMP/SYBASE/SYBASE_LINUX_X86_64" in this location one file is setup file "setup.bin"

give 777 permission to this file by using "chmod 777 setup.bin"

may it works,

Regards,

Faizan.

0 Kudos

Hi all ,

I am also facing the same problem in SAP Enhancement Package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.3 Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server.

i have tried following things by above sugessions.

> By moving the sapinst_instdir folder to local disk . 

> Tried with  set the values to unlimited by command in linix(ulimit -i unlimited)

> sqlsrv.res is also available .

i have attached my log files

TRACE      2014-01-06 15:30:12.389 

SAPinst properties are :

SAPINST_CHECK_PACKAGES=false

SAPINST_CONTROL_URL=control.xml

SAPINST_DETAIL_SUMMARY=true

SAPINST_DIALOG_PORT=21212

SAPINST_DIALOG_URL=dialog.xml

SAPINST_EXE=SAPINST_EXE

SAPINST_JSLIB_TRACE=NW,NWUsers,OraCom,NWCTC,NWProfiles,ClusterMgt,SystemIdentity,NetworkMgt

SAPINST_KEYDB_URL=keydb.xml

SAPINST_MESSAGE_CONSOLE_THRESHOLD=info

SAPINST_MESSAGE_URL=.

SAPINST_PACKAGES_URL=packages.xml

SAPINST_RESOURCE_URL=resourcepool.xml

SAPINST_SAVE_INPUT=true

SAPINST_SCAN_DEVICES=false

SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=false

SAPINST_SLIDE_SHOW_URL=slideshow.xml

SAPINST_TOPLEVEL_URL=toplevel.xml

SELFEXTRACTOR_EXECUTABLE_NAME=/SAPInstall/SWPM/sapinst

Regards,

Adhikesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We had the same problem Assertion failed error.

The solution we did was setting the value of ulimit  to unlimited.

first check ulimit -a in linux terminal then set whichever values is allowed to set

can be set to unlimit(some of them will not be allowed by the operating system , dont mind)

then startup the installation in the same terminal window where you have set the values to unlimited.

for setting the values the command in linux is example (to change max memory size) :

ulimit -m unlimited

regards,

suresh daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did someone find a fix to this error. I am installing EP 7.4 on sybase ASE 15.7. I am getting the same error:

ERROR      2013-10-25 14:15:21.33 [iaxxinscbk.cpp:224]
CJS-00030  Assertion failed: Unable to set up ASE server. Refer to trace file sapinst_dev.log for further information.

TRACE      2013-10-25 14:15:21.56 [EJSController.cpp:351]
           EJS_ControllerImpl::getExtension(EJS::Exception)
unqualified name is Exception

TRACE      2013-10-25 14:15:21.57 [JSExtension.hpp:128]
           JSExceptionHandler::setJSException()
Member function 'Installer.abortInstallation()' has thrown ESAPinstException. Converting to JavaScript exception EJS::Exception.

TRACE      2013-10-25 14:15:21.057
Function setMessageIdOfExceptionMessage: modlib.jslib.caughtException

ERROR      2013-10-25 14:15:21.058
           CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()
MUT-03025  Caught ESAPinstException in module call: .

TRACE      2013-10-25 14:15:21.65 [JSExtension.hpp:879]
           CallFunctionBase::call()
Member function 'Installer.invokeModuleCall() has thrown unknown exception. Rethrowing.

TRACE      2013-10-25 14:15:21.609 [syuxctask.cpp:237]

Please can someone suggest.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi every one !

I'm installing an ERP 6.05 / NW 7.02 on Linux/Sybase 15.7 and I have exactly the same error.

The problem is, that the sqlsvr.sh start with sqlsrv.res as argument and ends with RC4.

While RC bigger as 0, it will delete the sqlsrv.res.

sapinst need the file sqlsvr.res to continue and stop now why the file doesn't exist.

We can find any error in the logs. Only that the sqlsrv.res is missing.

Any suggestion ?

Yes, this one :

Move the SAPINSTDIR to a local disk and sapinst will work pretty good.

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response.

sapinst_instdir diretory is created on /tmp file system by sapinst tool. which local disk you are saying cold you please explain me on this.

Thanks

Abu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abu

The Problem for me was exactly the same as yours. Only it was for an ERP 6.05 and not SolMan. I have used a sapinst_instdir located in an other Disk. This Disk was NFS mounted and I have got the same problem. Effectly the same error messages !

I have stopt sapinst completly, move the sapinst_instdir under /tmp (located on a local disk) and start it again. The Problem was solved for me.

That's it.

Cheers

Marc

former_member315324
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm installing SAP 7.40 and Sybase ASE and have te same error (sqlsrv.sh finished with return code 4). As suggested I moved my installation directory to /tmp. But the error is still there. No further idea at now. I have also seen the file sqlserv.res is used with older Sybase ASE installations. At now the file is renamed to 'srvbuild<nr>-001-<SID>.rs'. Maybe the problem is caused by the rename of the filename.

Regards

Karlheinz

former_member315324
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

at now I know the reason why the installation does not work. In my environment (FlexFrame for SAP) I cannot run sapinst directly from installation media. I need to run 'sapinst -extract' and then I have to modify 'umasks 027' within extracted 'sapinst' to 'umask 022'.
The reaction and error message from the installation script is quite strange. That the umask is the reason why it not works cannot be interpreted with that error message immediately. By the way, most of the umasks used in control.xml file are using '022'. Why does 'sapinst' always using '027' ?

Regards

Karlheinz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Any luck with a concrete solution of this problem?I have the exact same problem as said by mark,and in my case we are setting up ERP 6.06 on sybaseand AIX. My sapinst_instdir is in a folder named "sapdump" that is on the same server.I am trying to install DB server instance(HA setup) on a clustered node and getting this error .Can anyone please help us how can this issue be taken care of?

How can i know of which disk my sapinst_inst is a part of?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Bharat Pasricha