cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost of entire Sap/oracle binaries due to hardware failure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys, i need your help we have experiencing in our sap production server a critical data loss, the raid 5 storage fail entirely and we lost all of our sap/oracle binaries, we have a full offline backup of the database (a tar from a all the filesystem with the oracle database files), i want to know if i can use my sap developer system to make a copy of this files and then restore de database files from backup.

I really need your help in this.

Thanks in advance.

Amaury

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaury,

Suggestions from myside

1) Install a fresh system using SAP installers

2) Apply SAP kernel from your DEV or QAS so that landscape is in sync.

3) Restore the database backup you have.

4) Startup database using command SQL> startup

5) Startup listener

6) Check R3trans -d works fine

7) Start SAP application using startsap r3

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the fast response Deepak, i want to clarify somthing about "Restore the database backup you have", i have complete tar from all the oracle filesystem structure, i need to restore this structure like it was before (all the mount points the same, etc...).?

Thanks in advance.

Amaury,

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaury,

First you need to create similar filesystem structure as before. Perform SAP installation on it.

Then you need to go to individual sapdata/Oracle  directories and untar individual tar files into them.

So that post restore content in file structure remains intact as before.

Hope thish elps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak, right now we have recreated de file system structure as before and installed sap core components.

We are going to install the oracle components and then untar/restore the oracle filesystem.

Wish me luck

regards,

Amaury

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaury,

You install the oracle components and apply all the patches so that it is in sync with earlier version.

This process should go ahead.

Let me know incase of issues.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

we have a problem downloading the export media from sap marketplace, they say we need to order them via cds, they dont have it for download, we are downloading the export for my sap 2004 (ecc 5).

The oracle installation process are requesting this export media, what alternatives we may have?

thanks in advance Deepark.

Regards,

Amaury

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaury,

I suppose you should have these DVDs with your firm. If not available then no choice you need to order it from SAP.

Other alternative,

Install the system using system copy option using backup restore. Here export DVDs will not be required. When installer prompts for backup to be restore, you need to restore the system and make the database up. Once the database is up and running, continue with the installer from where you stopped.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak, we are trying this right now i let you know the results.

Thanks for your great help.

Regards,

Amaury

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak, right now we have installed the sap system using the copy method you mentioned, but we are having a lot of problems with the database restore, it looks like in our backup strategy we never backup the archivelogs, now the database don't want to be mounted.

What alternative we may have for not lose all our info?

I really hope you can help me, I'm becoming a little desperate here.

thanks in advance.

Amaury

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amaury,

Please explain the steps which you have performed for database restore.

Also what is the error you get when you start the database.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak, i'm going to obtain more accurate info and let you know.

thanks in advance,

Amaury

Answers (0)