OS Linux / DB Oracle and OS HP-UX / DB Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following landscape for a SAP installation:

PI PRD:   OS Linux / DB Oracle

PI QAS:   OS HP-UX / DB Oracle

PI DEV:   OS HP-UX / DB Oracle

What are the risks or problems I can have?

Thanks

Hugo.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I quote myself from an older thread, your question is not exactly the same but most points still apply. Having the test system on a different platform than the production system is a bad idea in most cases.

Even if it is technically possible it does not make sense to mix too much within a landscape. You will:

- need different kernels for DEV <-> QAS/PRD, meaning you will have some errors only on DEV, some only on QAS/PRD

- will need different Oracle patches, some patches you might need won't be available for 9i at all

- you won't be able to properly operate SAP systems which use more advanced functions, like BI, as the different relaeses have different parameter settings and features

It is your duty as an administrator to strongly advise to run DEV, QAS and PRD on similiar platforms. In the long run you will be saving yourself a lot of money and trouble.

Cheers Michael

Update: let me add a few possible problem area for your case

- a system copy from PRD to QAS will always be a heterogenous copy

- performance can be totally different between QAS and PRD

- you have no possibility to test a linux SAP kernel before installing in PRD

- you need Linux and HP-UX know how to administrate the landscape

- HP-UX is usually expensive thus not a good option for DEV and QAS

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hudo,

The scenario you mentioned is related to Heterogenous system copy. Best starting point is to have the system copy guide with you.

From my experience

1) You may need to test the interfaces as this could be an impacted area

2) You may need to plan the downtime and testing approach correctly

3) As PI is a dual stack system, I shall recommend to have similar host and SID on the target environment. This will minimize the effort required in changing information on the java stack.

4) Check for jobs which are scheduled on specific servers. This is also an impacted area

5) Check out where is the SLD located. You may need to plan appropriately for SLD migration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hudo,

Hope your query is answered and in this case you may close this thread.

Regards,

Deepak Kori