cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process Control 10.0: Test Automation vs Control Automation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In GRC Process Control 10.0, Can anyone tell me the exact difference between "Test automation" and "Control automation" which are present in the general tab of Control.

As per my knowledge, the Test automation means the way in which the control is tested but here am not sure about the relevance of Control automation.

Best Regards,

Vinay Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Control automation usually refers to a control which relies on the "inherent" control configured in the SAP ECC system.  An example would be the warning that pops up when the SAP detects a payment which might be a duplicate.  It is only a warning, not a stop, so the duplicate payment could still be made.  Subsequently there can be an automated test to actually identify duplicate payments.  Another example would be the setting that is configured requiring a 3-way match.  That is a control that would be classified as automated.  The test automation would determine that the configuration had not been changed or would identify POs created that did not have the flag set.  Hope this clarifies things. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply,

So here if am testing a control for the example you given above(example :  The warning that pops up when the SAP detects a payment which might be a duplicate) the control automation should be checked as Automated as the pop-up is coming automatically. Correct me if am wrong.

Regards,

Vinay Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is correct.  This is an "automated" control, since it is a function of the SAP configuration.  I would classify those controls that result from a report being run, e.g. as a part of the closing process review, to be semi-automated controls.  In this case the control is facilitated by the report, but it requires review by a human for the control to take place. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am a bit confused.

Can you give me example for each of the Control automation types(Manual,Automated,Semi-Automated).

These examples might clarify all of my doubts.

Regards,

Vinay Kumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Control Examples:

Manual control: physical inventory to verify existence and valuation of inventory

Semi-automated: standard SAP report (perhaps AIS) to list employees on payroll; manual verification that new employee added exists (ID check)

Automated: configuration in SAP to prevent direct posting to reconciliation accounts

Testing examples for above:

Manual: examine records of physical documenting the results of physical inventory (perhaps spot check of inventory items)

Semi-automated: HR Payroll report listing new employees scheduled to run monthly and sent to appropriate user via workflow to verify

Automated: configuration check to verify that no changes have been made affecting status and posting to reconciliation accounts

Answers (0)