cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX to Linux migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have to migrate our ECC 5 systems from AIX to Linux servers. I have not done a migration before so want some inputs on the export/import procedure.

I couldnt find a heterogeneous guide that gives a step by step procedure.

Does any one have any documentation regarding this?

Thanks

Cyrus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Forgot to say,

I am doing a 46C system first and then later will do ECC5.

All systems will be test.

Thanks

Cyrus

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<i>1)What tools to use and where to get them from?

R3setup etc and the new Migrations monitor tools. Which ones are used and where to install this? Can you download these tools from servicemarketplace?</i>

-> as for 46C you'll need r3setup and the appropriate *.r3s file (dbmig.r3s and central.r3s)

-> for ecc5 you'll use sapinst instead...all templates needed will be provided within sapinst

<i>2)how much disk space to order on souce and target systems for the procedure?</i>

-> roughly 15-20% of source database

-> target: about 70-80% of the source system

<i>3)can i just copy the SAP system onto the target system after database copy instead of going through installation procedure?</i>

-> no you can't...you'll need to install the central instance but it'll take only 15-20 minutes...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Time is not critical for me as I will only be doing these migartions for test systems.

This is what I know until now regarding the migrations:

1)creating a export directory on the source system.

2)export the database

3)ftp the files to target system

4)load the database.

I have understood the broad concepts, but since I am doing this for the first time, I have some silly questions regarding this:

1)What tools to use and where to get them from?

R3setup etc and the new Migrations monitor tools. Which ones are used and where to install this? Can you download these tools from servicemarketplace?

2)how much disk space to order on souce and target systems for the procedure?

3)can i just copy the SAP system onto the target system after database copy instead of going through installation procedure?

Thanks in advance

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found the heterogeneous copy guide on the servicemarketplace.

It describes the R3load export/import procedure that i was looking for.

However, I know that we Basis guys dont always follow SAP standard procedures as they are not always the quickest and most efficient.

Any tips from anyone regarding this would be great.

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cyrus,

I think you found the right document. From my point of view it is the fastest tool available for your job, with few exceptions (but one is not supported by SAP afaik). If you run Oracle 10g with ECC 5.0 you should be able to use RMAN to convert the database from AIX to Linux (x86 or x86_64)(this one is the one not supported). If you run pLinux with DB2 or MAXDB you'll be also able to use Backup/Restore to do the job. Both databases are able to be restore to other platforms if they are of the same endian type.

May be if you use the tools the first time, you don't get the best performance out of them. There is the possibility to split the export packages in several ways, which is very important for good performance. Look into chapter 4 R3load Procedures. May be you should search for a consultant if the time is critical.

Regards

Ralph Ganszky

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

plz do not forget that you <b>will need a migration key</b> (as you switch os) which you can onl obtain from sap...normally this includes a certified consultant who will make the migration...do you have this certificate?

And...you <b>must use the r3load procedure</b> for a heterogeneous system copy - sap will not support any other procedure...

GreetZ, AH