cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SAP Extended Diagnostics be used to monitor the performance of ABAP runtime?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm planning monitor solution for a SAP project. We're planning to build both Java and ABAP container in the same or separated machine.

I know SAP's SED can be used to monitor the performance of Java program on NetWeaver.

Can SED be used to monitor the performance of ABAP's performance which run on ABAP runtime?

If SED can be used to monitor only Java runtime, what is the software I need to monitor ABAP runtime?

If SED can be used to monitor ABAP runtime, is it achieve by EPA?

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

I suggest you use Technical Monitoring for both java and abap.

All you need to do is install an smd and host agent on your managed systems, assign the templates (alter them if you want) and you're ready to go!

Regards,

David

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to say thank you for the reply.

We're going to use SED as our standard monitoring tool because there're a lot of SAP NetWeaver and IBM WebSphere. So SED(Introscope) could be the best solution for this environment.

As far as I know, SED is useful for Java environment not ABAP runtime. SMD could be better solution for monitoring ABAP code. I'm not familiar with SMD so I have some questions about SMD.

- Is there an agent provided by SMD for monitoring?

- If there's an agent, can it be used to monitor both Java and ABAP?

- What's the relation between SMD and host agent mentioned by David?

- Is SMD agent(host agent) free of charge?

I'm so sorry for my ignorant questions and thanks for your kind reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Let me try and answer your "ignorant" questions

- For starters, the SMD agents are free, when you perform any new installation by default the agent will be installed along with your SAP product. You will be able to see it as an extra SID.

- Host Agent will be installed along with the SMD Agent, make sure to update it to the latest version.

- Once these agents have been installed you can go through the managed system setup to connect the systems in the proper way to solman.

- Next you will be able to setup Technical Monitoring, you can create copies of the default templates to adjust the thresholds and metrics to your liking. These templates are available for java, abap, host, database and lots of other components.

- The relation between host and smd agent... host agent collects a lot of data (i.e. saposcol) that will be made available in your monitoring using the smd agent.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I'm sorry that English is not my first language. I apologized if I made any mistake.

Your answer is very clear and useful.

Thank you very much.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Also very useful and nice is the Wily Introscope. This is realtime monitoring, out-of-the-box available. Just need to configure it and no extra license required (if you are happy with the standard dashboards).

Kind regards,

Dimitri