cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C# - Windows Mobile - SMP - NW Gateway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are developing an online application and we would like to avoid the MBO route.

From what I could see there is no OData plugin for C#/Windows Mobile 6.5

By looking at the standard SAP mobile apps for iOS, I believe this is the SAP recommended approach:

Device<->[relay srv]<->[SMP]<->[NW Gateway]<->[ERP]

How can I use SUP and NW Gateway without going to the MBO route?

From what I understand the MBO approach is recommended for offline usage or HWC applications, is this what SAP recommends?

PS: I know how to connect it direct to SMP[RBS+MBS]/web services direct to NWG etc.

Thank you,

Best Regards

Felipe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have experience in the development mobile apps with OData in Android and IOS.

As you mentioned me too didn't find the library for Odata in the Sybase SDK for Windows. Also I haven't read any documents regarding an Windows mobile application in NW Gateway + SUP architecture.

I am assuming that there would a support for Window mobile too, why because SAP has released few apps in Windows 8 platform recently.

SAP will be giving more importance to Odata approach in the future ( It is mentioned in the road map ).

A hot document is here:

http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2013/05/13/smp-and-mbos--what-is-next

How can I use SUP and NW Gateway without going to the MBO route?

Instead of using RFC/BAPI we need to use Odata services exposed from NW gateway. So there will not be any development in SUP. The only configuration you need to do is in the SCC ( Sybase Control Center ). Once Odata services are created in NW gateway you need to create the application connection template.

From the device you need to establish a connection and access the application template and parse the Odata service to get that data ( GET and PUT).

From what I understand the MBO approach is recommended for offline usage or HWC applications, is this what SAP recommends?

Yes, this is what SAP recommends in the case of Offline and HWC apps.

- Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

If I understood correctly I'll need to create a connection template in SCC, then handle any parse(in/out) inside my application. Fine, I can do it. That would solve the data flow being transmitted via SMP but without any client API how can we register the device in SCC? or activate it? Use SCC capabilities (grab log/enable/disable device etc)

How you do this in iOS/Adroid? I mean without a client API/Sybase libraries?

Have you got any example of a use of connection template that exists in SCC without SDK/Libraries etc? by hand I mean.

Another point is the relay server is associated with a farmid, that must match a device connection in SCC, I believe the application connection must exist in order to use it.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you,

Felipe

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To register the device and parse data Sybase APIs are available.

In the Sybase SDK under the folder Odata you can find the libraries for it.

-Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Midhun,

I don't find libraries for windows mobile under Odata folder in Sybase Mobile SDK.

When you use SUP - MBO Approach, You can find libraries in Separate folder Called WM in ObjectAPI in Sybase SDK.

Is it possible to develop Odata Apps for Windows mobile?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In Android/ iOS , Libraries are already provided in Sybase SDK. You need to have Libraries for Authentication , for hitting the Gateway server, fetching the response and Parsing it.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anjor, as I mentioned in my earlier post it is possible to develop WM Odata apps. But I didn't put my hands into it till now. And you are right the libraries for WM is missing in the SDK.

I don't know where we can find the libraries. But SAP has recently released WM 8 apps with Odata as the data model.

- Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjor,

Since the OData libraries for WM are not available, you could use the SUP OData-based Hybrid app datajs libraries instead. You will find the below resource useful for doing the same:

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01853.0220/doc/pdf/sup_devguide_hybr...

The following sections of this document would be useful:

1. Develop OData-based Hybrid Apps
  2. Enabling the Datajs Library on Windows Mobile

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Muzaffar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply..This post is really informative and it would help me alot..

Thank you

Answers (0)