cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a failure in SAP when IDOC communication with Biztalk fails

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have an environment with SAP ECC 6.0 which communicates with Biztalk 2010 using IDOCs.  For the most part this setup is working fine.  However, sometimes due to a variety of reasons Biztalk is unable to receive the IDOC.  This is generally due to an issue on the Biztalk side (i.e. not started, not ready, errors, etc.)  However, despite this situation SAP always shows it was able to successfully transmit an IDOC to Biztalk.  I can even shut the Biztalk server down completely and SAP will still show that the IDOC was successfully sent. 

How can I change the configuration of SAP to reflect a failure in the process?  If I go to into SM59 and try the test connection on the TCP/IP RFC destination when Biztalk is unable to receive messages, it shows it can not communicate.  So I know it's possible for SAP to understand if Biztalk is up and running.

Thanks,

Kent

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thank you to both Imanuel and Greg for your responses.  I found them both very useful.  I would like to clarify a couple of things:

1)  The program RBDMOIND will change the status on any IDOC that was successfully sent to BT from 03 to 12.  This means that as long as the Biztalk receive port is running and the data is passed the program will change the status when it is ran?

2)  If my Biztalk process provides an acknowledgement back indicating success in processing the inbound IDOC SAP will change the status to 39.

If my understanding is correct it seems that implementing both solutions is the ultimate way to understand the result of IDOC communication from SAP to Biztalk.

Please let me know if this correct.

Thanks,

Kent

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kent,

You got it right . Implementing both: RBDMOIND and acknowledgements gives you a complete view in ECC of the IDoc processing status by BizTalk. Also point 1 and 2 are correct.

Regards,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kent,

I will go by implementing the second as we have a guaranteed acknowledgement ..

Running the program RBDMOIND will be additionally helppful..

Rgds

Krish

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kent,

In addition to the acknowledgement solution already described, you can also go for an easier one, that would meet most of your requirements, without any changes on BizTalk side. Simply schedule program RBDMOIND as a background job in the sender system. As a result, status of each IDoc successfully transferred to BT will be changed from 03 to 12. Still, this would not help you know if IDoc was successfully processed by BT.

Regards,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Idoc successfully sent (status 03) actually means that : "IDoc sent to SAP system or external program" meaning - it was passed on to the SM58.

you need to configure getting system acks from your receiver adapter so that the IDOC status will move to status 39 (and so if the IDOC remains on 03 you will know there is a problem there)

Good luck,

Imanuel Rahamim.