cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCM 7.0 EHP2 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

we are planning to upgrade our SCM system to EHP2 SCM 7.0.

Our Current Release:

SCM 7.00 - Running on Solaris Sparc

LiveCache 7.7.07.20(SP15) - running on RHEL 5.X

Please clarify the below points

1)I have found from PAM,Livecache 7.9 is supported from RHEL 6 only.In

that case do we need to upgrade OS first? Does our current LiveCache

SAP LC/LCAPPS 7.0 kernel 7.7.07.20 (SP15) will still work on RHEL6 ?

Also PAM says that SAP LC/LCAPPS 7.0 is supported on RHEL 6 with

versions>= SP017.So before OS upgrade to RHEL6 we need to upgrade

Livecache to SP017 and then proceed OS upgrade ? Please suggest

2)At which point we need to upgrade Livecache.Will SUM stops and then

asks to proceed with Livecache upgrade?

3)The Upgrade guide talks about the report /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 to

perform tasks Section A and B but i see buttons are Deactivated and

greyed out.I tried to activate all push buttons but still A & B are

deactive.Is SUM going to take care A & B sections ?

4) Please suggest Best paractises if any in our upgrade scenario

Regards

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

I did SCM upgrade from 5.1 to 7.02 in march but OS was AIX 6.1.

point 1.I will suggest you to do OS upgrade so that you can benefit from LC 7.9

point 2. SUM stops during execution phase and asks you to do the LC upgrade. I think we went to latest 7.9 version.

point 3. report /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 will be activated once you start SUM. SUM will ask you to perform steps in Section A, B,C and D respectively when it is needed.

point 4. best practice is to follow the upgrade guide. take complete backup of system. we had issues with profile files being changed by SUM and the backed up profile helped us. make sure you have enough free space and good planning.

Thanks,
Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjith,

Thanks for reply. we are running LiveCache 7.7 on Redhat Linux 5.8. Now the SCM7.0 EHP2 upgrade requires minimum Livecache 7.9 and 7.9 can only be installed on Redhat 6 version as per PAM. In this scenario whats the best approach ?

When SUM stops you to upgrade LC,

will i have to scrap LC 7.7 on Linux 5.8 ,then install Redhat 6 and then directly install 7.9 and then continue with SUM ?

Will SUM take care of Post activity on the new LC 7.9 ?

Regards

Ravi

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

yes the best approach is to do OS upgrade and then go to LC 7.9 . We have to download/ export the LC data as per the upgrade guide and  once SUM stops for installing LC 7.9, we need to install it. once the LC 7.9 installation is completed SUM  will request you to load/import the LC data to the system.

check below section for LC upgrade.

4.3Phase REQ_APOUPG<X>: Running Report /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 – Section B

Thanks,
Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjith,

Thank you for your reply. I ve gone through the upgrade guide. i want to confirm whether the Sections A & B of the report  /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 will get activated when the SUM stops for LiveCache upgrade. The Note 1567308 says "if you use SCM 7.0 or SCM 7.01 as the source release you do not need to extract the liveCache data and initialize the liveCache. The upgrade to SCM 7.02 occurs as an inplace upgrade". Our source release is SCM 7.0 and I can see in the report now sections A & B are deactivated. But in your case the source release is 5.1

Regards

Ravi

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

SUM stops in checks phase to start with steps in section A of report /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 as you can see below.and section B will be done before the downtime.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

This prompt at Cheks phase did not arise in my case. May be since my source release is SCM 7.0. Please advise at what point we should upgrade Livecache. Now i reached Preprocessing phase[SPDD stage] of the upgrade.

The Livecache upgrade guide suggests to follow  inplace upgrade. Does that mean that after SCM upgrade is done completely,the Livecache is updated to 7.9 ?

Regards

Ravi

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

The below statement in LC upgrade guide answers your query. As your starting version is SCM 7.0 and LC 7.7, you can do an LC upgrade later as per guide.

SAP liveCache Upgrade Without an SAP System Upgrade or an SCM Enhancement Package Installation

SAP liveCache Kernel Start Release || SAP liveCache LCA Start Release || Upgrade Strategy

7.7                                                          7.0                                              Inplace upgrade

For the second table shown above, the SAP SCM start release is 7.0 or 7.0 EHP1 and the SCM target release is 7.0 EHP2. This is called SAP LC/LCAPPS 10.0 in the Software Distribution Center (SWDC).

Thanks,

Ranjith

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Please have a look over SAP Note 1567308.  Within that note is says:

"However, if you use SCM 7.0 or SCM 7.01 as the source release, you do

not need to extract the liveCache data and initialize the liveCache. The

upgrade to SCM 7.02 occurs as an inplace upgrade."

As it appears from your screen captures that you are on SCM 7.0, you

don't need to run any section of /SAPAPO/OM_LC_UPGRADE_70 during

the upgrade SCM 7.0 to SCM 7.0 EHP2.

I would also recommend that you follow the liveCache SCM 7.0 EHP2

upgrade guide to upgrade the liveCache instance.

Thank You.

Regards,

Deepika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thank you for replying. I ve gone through the note and i understand that the report is not required to run during upgrade and take place inplace.Fine.But my focus is more on upgrading LiveCache.My existing LiveCache is 7.7.07.20 (SAP LC/LCAPPS 7.0 SP15) running on RHEL 5.8. As per the SCM 7.0 EHP2 upgrade guide the LiveCache version supported is 7.9[SAPLCCAPS 10.0] for SCM 7.0 EHP2, also as per PAM Live cache 7.9 runs on RHEL 6 only. Considering this scenario what would be the best possible approach ?

Now i am in PREP phase of Upgrade. Assuming SUM will stop and request Livecache upgrade, then should i build RHEL 6 first and then Install LiveCache 7.9 ?

Should I build LiveCache SAP LC/LCAPPS 7.0 SP18 on RHEL 6 first[minimum patch supported as per PAM] test if everything ok with current release and then proceed to upgrade 7.9 when prompted by SUM ? please help

Regards

Ravi

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

If the target system is SCM 7.0 EHP2, unfortunately Redhat EL5

is not supported in this case. SCM 7.0 EHP2 requires Readhat EL6.

The kernel requested is "SAP KERNEL 7.20 EXT 64-BIT" and above,

which can be checked from PAM as well.

Thank You.

Regard,

Deepika