cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach material code to Result recording QE11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Suppose we have a material for which we have to maintain an  Inspection characteristic whose catalogue will have material code. Is this possible?

What I tried is created a Code group but its code cannot have key field more than 4 characters ( as per SAP).

And in QP02 for the material we cannot have Inspection characteristics without catalogue.

Is there any way around? So that when the lot is generated in the result recording we can have a field in which material code can be inserted.

Warm Regards

Debarshi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I guess you must be doing this to avoid same result recording for all the batches that belong to same heat number. Typically multiple batches are in-warded  for the same heat number, and users do not want to waist their hours for this unnecessary inspection. They generally want to inspect only 1 batch out of say 15. Here 15 is the number of inspection lot as 15 times GRN is done with different batch. The pity is you can not avoid inspection lot generation based on heat number!

Probably keeping this in mind you must have developed this solution that instead of 15 inspection lot generation its better to generate only 1 for dummy and record the results in it. Complications grows when different material codes are in-warded against same heat number and where you can not avoid those many inspection lot generation. And here you are forcefully co-relating dummy inspection lot to any if such material.

I really do not know what can be the best suitable solution for this, but surely you can not modify 4 characters length to 18. As Maheswaran suggested explore if you can use inspection description field if suits. Alternatively I can suggest to explore copy inspection result functionality where inspection results from 1 inspection lot can be copied to another. Thus you can avoid dummy lot creation and can go for material specific lots, so no need to assign material code forcefully to dummy inspection lot. DMR can also be useful to some extent to skip unwanted lots, if they belong to same heat number.

Regards, Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KD, The dummy material is the same and is used every day and not material specific.

Great Anand . Exactly our situation. Very well written by you!!!

I being an ABAPer could not write the situation as lucidly as you did .

Some how we have been using the situation of putting up material code in descripton field (next to MIC of quantity). But as there is no check so many times wrong material code gets inserted.

Na this process is going on for many year.

Issue came up now as weight is fluctuating pretty rapidly last few months. So have to use the existing process and use the description field. May be i'll try to find out enhancement area so to put a check on material.

Thank you for you effort.

Warm regards

Debarshi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Debarshi, understood that where you want this. But unfortunately you can not change 4 characters length in code to 18 as that of material master. .  Sorry but still the question remains answered that why you want to add material code as an outcome of some MIC result? Could you please illustrate with 1 example how you are calculating weight based on your logic?

Is it so that, by inserting new material code (if becomes feasible) you will fetch its weight from its material master and multiply it with sampling size or with some xyz qty and want this to be pulled in some report? Can't you explore calculated characteristic for this, where based on readings of earlier 2 MICs the reading of 3rd gets calculated automatically?

Regards, Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand.

We have a material code 'QMPOURING' (which is a dummy material code used for result recording for all materials in a day).

So every day in the morning a lot is generated for the said material code.

Next when ever new heat no,batch number are generated corresponding entries are made for the lot.

Now since code is of 4 characters till date the weight for the material was entered manually and many times wrong weight thus was entered.

This is the reason we want to enter material code... so that weight could be fetched for the same.

Hope I am able to clear the requirement !!!

Thanks for your interest.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Each day, are you using different Dummy Material code in results recording??

Is the dummy material day specific or actual material specific or lot specific??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Catalogs will be connected to MIC, subsequently MIC will be connected to Materials through Inspection Plan.

So Lot will be generated against Materials.

Here, what exactly you trying to achieve?? Please rephrase your question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a material code say 'ABC'. Now for this material we have quality inspection plan where there are inspection characteristic. In the inspection characteristic we have Master insp characteristic which have catalogues.

So when ever we create an lot using QP01 for this material in the result recording part we will have all these Master Ins Characteristic , so in QE11 we will feed the value for these Ins characteristics.

What we need is to add a new Master Ins Characteristic in which we will enter material code.

i.e. For a lot of material 'ABC' during result recording we want to add material code  as one of the result.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Debarshi, generally catalogs are created for the possible outcomes of visual inspection. E,g, If DAMAGE is your MIC, then you can have following codes in catalogs

01- Heavy damage

02- Permissible damage

03- Damage not found

I am bit confused here, as how a material code can be a inspection parameter for another material.

As I understand, instead of above codes i.e. 01, 02 and 03 you want material code to be put. Why?

If you want to capture the inspection results for those materials, you can generate separate inspection lots for those materials and can have separate inspection activity.

Regards, Anand Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

As lot has been already linked with Material "ABC", again why do you want to add the same in results recording??

Even with Quantitative MIC, you can't capture the text field. You can capture only in Inspection Description.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What we need is whenever a new lot is created for a material we need a field during the result recording in which "Material Code"(other material code) can be assigned.As for a single lot many results are recorded for different materials. We need to capture these material code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As lot is generated on material specific, how or why you are recording many results for different materials??

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I am not clear still.

Can we have a MIC in which material code can be entered. Since catalogue code has 4 character and material code is 18 character. So is there any way out?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned already, to capture Material code in Results Recording, you should use Inspection Description field.

But, here we want also to understand why do you want to capture Material codes in Results recording screen as separate results?? Also, how you can capture results for different materials for the inspection lot which has been created for only one material???

I couldn't understand the logic behind this requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is user end requirement.

As from the screen shot you can see there is item desc also (But 4 char long). 

Now we need a new MIC in which Material code will be inserted.So that during the report the material weight can be picked up based on the material code and multiply with quantity and display.

Sorry as I think I am not clear.

Message was edited by: Debarshi Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

By linking QALS & QAMR tables, you can get the Material Code, Weight & Inspection Lot Qty. So its not required to capture the Material code as one parameter result, I feel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No no in parameter different material code will be inserted and not the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For different material code, you can use only Inspection Description field (Free Text field). Neither Quantitative nor Qualitative MICs can be used here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes that's what we have proposed , wanted to know if any way around was there or not.

Thank you for your patience and effort.