cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BODS for Loads to Hana

former_member205400
Active Participant
0 Kudos

When in BODS and creating a flow for moving data from an Oracle DB to Hana I was prompted to select an ODBC object for the Hana connection. I also saw a YouTube video talking about the same.

Seems to me that ODBC is slow and there should be some kind of direct connect in this instance.

Comments?

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike, the prefered way to connect to HANA from BODS is ODBC. In general, ODBC does not have performance issues when it comes to doing an ETL from external DB to HANA DB.

Hope this helps!

Rama

former_member205400
Active Participant
0 Kudos

OK thanks ... I'm surprised that ODBC is preferred ....

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mike,

Usually in the Datastore under datasource name we will be choosing ODBC driver.

You can do quick check by clicking on 'ODBC admin', choose tab 'System DSN', select your 'System Data source name' and click configure, click connect. It will ask you for the HANA credentials and click ok.

If the test connection is ok and you get the response within second then then there is no problem with ODBC connectivity.

Regards

Raj

former_member205400
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I created a connection to Hana (HDBODBC32) and when I open that connection I can see tables ... so that is good.

I created a simple job to delete rows from my Hana ... so I have a job, work flow, data flow. In that data flow I have one sql command as follows:

truncate_table("my_schema"."mytable")

when I click on the validate button I have no errors.

When I run the job I get the following error in the job log:

ODBC call for data source failed: <[SAP AG][LIBODBCHDB SO][HDB] Communication link

I also see in the log this statement "The job process could not communicate with the data flow."

So I'm wondering if I have something amiss in the job or the connection.

Mike

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

When it comes to delete records in HANA, HANA modeler is the right place to do so and can do in SQl editor

DELETE FROM "my_schema"."mytable";

This is very easy to do rather than doing the stuff in BODS.

But if you want to do this only in BODS then you can post the same question in BODS forum.

Regards

Raj