cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain version numbers in detail?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been struggling with this for an embarrassingly long time, and figured asking for help is overdue. I am frightfully confused by the version numbering used by NetWeaver...

• Are 7.2 and 7.02 the same thing, or does the leading zero indicate something?
  • The documentation portal lists the major versions as 2004, 7.0 (2004s), and 7.3; why are 7.1 and 7.2 not listed?
  • Do the EHPs get rolled into the version number somehow? I notice that the SPS is usually listed separately.
  • The Software Provisioning Manager offered me the option to install 7.4, but I see no mention of it elsewhere, is it out?

Any help would be appreciated, reading through the documents has only made me more confused.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Akshay_G
Contributor

Hi Donavan,

You have bumped into a very commonly observed doubt about releases and their version naming

However, I believe, below mentioned points should be able to resolve your doubts.

1) No, 7.2 and 7.02 are not the same thing. 7.2 is release Netweaver 7.2 (Major release 7.2) while 7.02 is Netweaver 7.0 EHp2 (Here the Major release is still 7.0 but with additional EHP2)

2) The Release versions which you are referring to as 7.1 & 7.2 are for other supplementary Netweaver Solutions like Netweaver CE (Composition Environment) or SAP Netweaver PI (Process Integration) or Solution Manager per se.

For NW CE major available releases are 7.1 & 7.2

For NW PI major available release is 7.1

For Solution Manager major available releases are 7.0 & 7.1

But, for Netweaver Portal usage type, major available Netweaver Releases are only 2004, 7 (2004s) and 7.3 along with EHP(s).

3) Yes, It is like this=> Release X.Y and EHP Z equates to product version X.YZ

Example(s):    

• SAP Netweaver 7.3 EHP1 = SAP NW 7.31
  • SAP ECC6 EHp5 = Based on SAP Netweaver 7 EHP 2 = SAP NW 7.02 or SAP ECC 6.05 (Only theoretically speaking)
  • SAP Solution Manager 7.0 EHP1 = SAP NW 7.01
  • SAP Netweaver CE 7.1 EHP1 = SAP NW CE 7.11
  • SAP Netweaver 7.0 EHP3 = SAP NW 7.03 (Exception here, as it will be 7.31 instead of 7.03 because the code-lines have been merged now. Ref 1st blog mentioned below).

4) Yes that's what you saw. However SAP Netweaver 7.4 is not released yet (due releasing this May-2013 SAP NW 7.4 BW AS ABAP). But as you might know SWPM is a one-stop-place for SAP Netweaver Based Systems installations, so you are able to see NW 7.4 over there. Once the NW 7.4 is released you shall be able to use that.

Also I recommend you to have a look here (Very excellent official SAP blog)

Why SAP ERP 6.0 EHP6 contains SAP BASIS 7.31

Also, if interested check this out as well:

Confused with different SAP Business Suite Releases ?? Read it !!

And perhaps, this too:

SAP product naming confusion

Regards,

Akshay.

P.S.- Award points if helpful

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182416
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hope you are clear with the Versions..

Starting today add 7.4 to that list

Regards
Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Donovan,

With time you will understand with more easily the versions.

This post will help you understand a little bit.

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/software-logistics/blog/2012/12/21/why-ehp6-for-sap-e...

Regards

Ricardo A. Couto.