cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activity for every month without maintaining multiple activities

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are having an activity called inspection which is to be mapped in the network. The activity is going to happen every month & the duration is 1 day.

Client's requirement is, they don't want to have multiple activities in the network against inspection and at the same time the activity should be part of planning i.e. for every month one day will be considered for this activity.

How to map this?

Manoj P.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sanjeevc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Create single internal activity with plan (one years project =12 days (because your inspection activity will finish in one day only) you need to confirm 1 day per months plan would be reduce one day per month)

if project is 2 years lengthy then (24*1 = 24)

Every month confirm internal activity one day per month.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev,

Thank you for the reply.

I did understand what you mean to say. But how to maintain the basic start & finish dates? Or it wouldn't be having any start & finish date. Same way, will it be part of scheduling or not?

Could you clarify this please?

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Create an activity and maintain the following.

1. maintain constraints start and finish date. for example 01.01.2013 to 12.31.2013

2. Confirm activity every month with ~8.3 of completion. that means you will have progressive completion every month and at the last day of last month input the balance percentage.

Hope the above makes sence.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

sanjeevc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can maintain start or finish date of that activity as Sudhakar suggested you, and it would be a part of scheduling.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sudhakar & Sanjeev,

Thank you for the time taken to answer my query.

My main question is how the data maintained in the activity will be part of actual scheduling?

If I maintain the duration of 12 days which will be applicable for project of one year, then how system will schedule this activity every month? How system will distribute this activity of 12 days for a period of 12 months, one day/ month?

I am quite clear about planning as these 12 days will be part of planning but the question still remain is of scheduling.

Could you please answer this also, if possible in very much details?

Manoj P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manoj

I would suggest you to create an inspection workcenter and as per your requirement create 1 day shift per month for the whole year. Assign that work center in your activity and system will schedule it accordingly. So duration will be for the whole year and work will be of 12 days.

Regards

Atif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

I can't do what you are suggesting as the same department is working for other inspection activities also.

This is all together a question of the exact scheduling by maintaining one activity.

The scheduling will be easy if I go for 12 different activities maintained in the network but it will increase the user's work.

So I am looking out to a way wherein I just maintain one activity & system schedules it for 1 day every month.

Any suggestions.

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj

You can also use activity elements with offsets using single activity if you want to schedule it separately.

Regards

Atif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following suggestion:

1. create a separate network and activity which represent the inspection.

2. do not check against "schedule automatically" so that it will be excluded from scheduling part also do not link this activity with other activities. Make it as a independent.

3.maintain normal duration as 365 days or 12 days.

Now try in your test system and let us know.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm sorry but activities do not work as you suggest.  A single activity is a continuous event with a duration.  You could create a factory calendar to only be valid one day a month and apply it to the activity.  The activity duration would be 12 days.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

That's what I also thought about the behavior of the activity.

Still let me further evaluate & let work on the suggestions given by all you experts.

I shall update you regarding this once I am done with the testing.

Manoj P.