cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot register crystl32.ocx in Windows 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have trouble registering crystl32.ocx in Windows 7. The error message is "The module crystl32.ocx failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the sepecified path or debug it to check the problems with the binary or dependent .dll" files. The crystl32.ocx is indeed there under the system32 folder.

I have been researching on the internet and still can not register it. Any help?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? 

What version or Crystal Reports are you using? 

Do you get this message when you are adding the OCX to your application or running your application? 

Is your application a Visual Studio application or developed in a different language? 

The OCX control hasn't been supported for almost 10 years now.  It requires the 32 bit OLE files which I doubt would be installed if you are running 64 bit Windows. 

In the past, when this message appeared, the solution was to install 32 bit OLE by installing Office or another program that has OLE. 

The recommendation would be to update your application and replace the OCX.  If that is not an option then see if you can install 32 bit OLE. 

Good luck,

Brian

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

got crystl32.ocx working on windows7 64 bit today.

this post helped get me so let me complete the install procedure.

make sure that you have the below dlls are with in the same folder as crystl32.ocx.

I have the dlls in

c:\windows\system32 (for 64 bit programs) and

C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (for 32 bit programs)

I used Dependency walker on "crystal32.ocx" to find the below missing dlls.

CRPE32.DLL

IMPLODE.DLL

copied them to above locations and then registered the 32 bit dll via command "%systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32 crystl32.ocx"

In 64 bit windows, regsvr32 is 64 bit and cant register this 32 bit ocx.

I also installed Office tools 32 bit into C:\Program Files (x86)\ to get the OLE32.dll but am not sure if that was necessary.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MK

Many thanks for posting this solution. And teaching me a lesson; Never, ever say "never" .

One thing I'd really appreciate though is if you could let us know the version of the craxdrt.dll, crpe32.dll and implode.dll that you used.

And a BTW., to those that may want to try this solution. Please do note that the last OCX to ship was in CR 8.5 and WIN 7 was probably not even a thought in Bill's mind. E.g.; the OCX and CR 8.5 (never mind older versions) are not supported on WIN 7. Only saying as this may work, may not. Or you may get unanticipated behaviors. Or it may work one day, not another, on one computer and not on one right next to it. E.g.; proceed with caution...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on crystal reports 6.0 - c++ using CRPEngine

crystl32.ocx Product version 5.0.0.2

crpe32.dll Product version 5.0.1.108

implode.dll does not show a version number. date modified is 2/14/1995 .(may have come from the windows NT/XP install script used)

craxdrt.dll - cant find it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This worked for me. Thanks so much.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just want to add a note of caution in here;

You are sooooooo in an unsupported environment(!) The system could fail at any moment and you will have no idea why. Could be something as simple as an MS update...

I'd plead with anyone reading this to please, please consider really well if you want to do this. To make an analogy; yes you can take your Ford Model T on today's highway and push it to 80 miles an hour, but would you?

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will never, ever get this to work on WIN 7. The technology is way too old (the OCX was last supported in CR 8.5 and released - if memory serves right in 1999 - so almost 15 years ago) . Time to update to VS .NET or Java SDKs.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Primary Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces