cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Migration of Repository Objects in PI 7.1

Ben_B
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have a unique situation where we'd like to take the custom development from one namespace in our production system and back migrate to one of our development environments.  The two are wildly out of sync.  We did a file export of the entire namespace from production and have imported it into the development system.  The import says 100 objects were successfully imported but they do not show up in the development namespace.  We then attempted to delete everything from that namespace and then deleted the namespace itself.  The import process still gives the same message - 100 objects successfully imported - but the integration repository shows no changes.  We did a full cache refresh - didn't help.  I then attempted to export from another development system and imported that into the target development system.  Again we get 100 objects successfully imported but in this case the only objects that appear are the ones that never existed in the target system.  Any ideas on how we can sync up our development instance with production?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Was this "wildly out of sync" behaviour created as a result of changes being made directly in prod?

I seem to recall encountering this unique situation before. In my case it was as a result of the inconsistent versioning of the objects, this is why the copy - save - activate procedure worked. It re-synced the objects with the dev versioning. I can only guess that these objects were in sync at one stage?

There would probably still be a record kept in dev of the objects and their last know version even after you deleted the objects and namespace from dev and tried the import again. Maybe the note below might be relevant.

Importing ESR content with a later version does not overwrite the content that you have already imported into the Enterprise Services Repository

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/48/d113f7b4073254e10000000a42189b/content.htm

Regards, Trevor

Ben_B
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

We may have a few issues here.  First we had a "dance to the beat of your own drum" developer here that has now left the company.  That person had a ton of changes in our development and QA systems that did not match what was in production.  The differences in our Dev system did not follow standards or best practices so our goal is to start fresh with what's in production.  Originally the plan was to go back to a history version that matched up with what was in production but there wasn't one so the next thought was that we would just export from production and re-import into Dev using the file transports.  That's when we found this issue.  It's not a big deal.  We were able to work around it, but from a personal knowledge standpoint I'd like to know what was happening and why.  I'll go through the help docs and see if I find anything there.

Thanks for the reply.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

While exporting objects move with SWCV/NAME space defintion and select name space also as part of File tranport.

Other idea would be performing system copy, like Production to Dev. This scenario all latest content would be present in Dev system but it takes time.

Regards,

Raj

Ben_B
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj,  We can't do a system copy as we only want one interface updated with the production code.  I tried multiple iterations of exports and imports with different options selected and deselected. The import works without error but the objects do not show up under the namespace.  We were able to open the imported objects by going into the line item for the import under the Cache Status Overview.  From there we were able to open the objects and copy them.  Once copied we were able to re-copy them to the original object name, save and activate.  Then they showed up under the namespace.  Not ideal but it worked.  I'd really like to know why the objects don't show up after import.  

manigram
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the SLD part whether the Software component is exist in SLD or not. First setup the SLD then import the objects.

Also share the error details.

Regards,

Manigandan

Ben_B
Explorer
0 Kudos

The SWC is in the SLD and there is no error.  The import is successfu but the imported componets don't show up in the IR.