Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify 720p quality for SCN embedded youtube video

lambert-giese
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello SCN experts,

I have recently published an SCN blog post with an embedded youtube video. Is there a way to embed a video in SCN so that I can directly specify parameters to the youtube player, specifically to render the display in HD quality by default (720p)? Via direct URL, this is possible by specifying the parameter vq=hd720 to the player URL, like so:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hpZaZzRU_-c?vq=hd720&feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I tried to paste the above embed code into the SCN dialog for embedding video, but the additional parameter vq=hd720 was stripped off in the resulting Jive macro code. That means that visitors of my post get the inferior 360p quality by default, and need to manually adjust that using the settings button of the youtube player. I'm looking for a way to avoid that.

Best regards,

Lambert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Unfortunately not: I tried via the old embed code and the insert video tool adjusted the code to the default URL of the video.

This is something that's really meant to be controlled on the user side and therefore YouTube doesn't provide the ability to specify what should be the default playback setting for your own videos. (Users can, however, specify if they want the default to be HD or not for videos they see on YouTube.)

lambert-giese
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jason. That's very helpful. It's OK for me if that's not possible in SCN.

However, regarding

YouTube doesn't provide the ability to specify what should be the default playback setting

my understanding is slightly different: just try out the embed code I posted above, or use this direct link, and you'll see that it is feasible (although maybe not desired by YouTube). The video will start in 720p when using this link.

Best regards,

Lambert

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I meant from the source: i.e. the video author specify that the default playback setting for the video be 720p or whatever desired.

Answers (0)