cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

integrating legacy as/400 application with XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are working on an implementation of SAP XI 3.0 and one of the systems we need to integrate is a legacy iseries application. The Xi installation itself is remote on a Unix box.

The interfaces we need to implement are both batch mode as transaction mode interfaces (asynchronous). Now I was was wondering what the best way is to couple the as/400 with XI.

For the batch mode interfaces we may work with the standard file adapter of XI which is basically an ftp. But for the transaction type interfaces I am not sure what is best, there are a few options:

-Install MQseries and use that. probably works for outgoing interfaces from as400. Not sure if this also works for incoming interfaces

-Set up a web server on as/400 that pushes the data to XI (in XML form) and also receives data from XI in xml form. Not a lot of experience with this but it must be possible

-Use the JDBC adapter to directly write to the as/400 database, This most likely only works for incoming interfaces.

-There seems to be an ODBC adapter for XI from iwaysoftware. the same as for the JDBC adapter, this can be used probably for the incoming messages but I don't see it being used for outgoing messages

Note for the transaction type interfaces it must be possible to garantuee equential processing, or as XI calls it exactly once in order (EOIO). Is there something to be gained from installing a local adapter engine on the iseries itself?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using the JMS adapter & MQ series to send & receive messages with as/400. Their side will need to write a program to pull the messages out & put them in(shells are available from IBM on getting messages from MQ for any platform/code type)

for sequencing - good luck. JMS adapters do not like multiple types of interfaces coming in on the same Q. If you don't have too many interfaces, put them all inside a "master structure" as subelements, and do content-based routing to determine which interface you are actually processing.

good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda

we made a scenario R/3 <>(RFC)XI(JDBC)<>DB2. we need to execute a program over odbc:jdbc on the DB2. i did it from a test program on java with {call ARJDDFALL.INY004 (p1,p2)} and works but from xi i'm using the structure of stored procedure to do it an is given me an error

com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.DeliveryException: Error processing request in sax parser: Error when executing statement for table/stored proc. 'CALL ARJDDFAL.INY004' (structure 'stored_procedure'): java.sql.SQLException: [Wall Data][RUMBA Data Access][XI]Syntax error or access violation. SQLSTATE = 42601 : Invalid character in an SQL statement. SQLCODE = -104 : Token ARJDDFAL was not valid. Valid tokens: <END-OF-STATEMENT>.

any idea?

thanks

lionel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I've a similar integration scenario, where AS400 app needs to integrate with SAP via SAP Xi. The only twist is that I have both asynchronous and synchronous interfaces.

If for async communication I have :

- Message Queues;

- JBDC for DB2;

- Files;

What are the alternatives for sync communication??? Just web services???

Can I invoke COBOL programs, probably with some kind of adapters??? Any experience on that??

I'll appreciate any help...

Take Care

PC

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey now Synch/Asycnh bridge can done from JSM adapter from SP19 onwards . you can use thae option which slovesour proble m syncronouse.

Thanks

Sreeram.G.Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that can be possible...

But I was looking for a straight solution, if it possible... like invoking a COBOL module directly, using an adapter (probably via tcp/ip with sockets!!!), it must exist something, right????

I rather rule out the "straight" alternatives before I consider other alternatives...

Thanks any way...

Take Care

PC

Former Member
0 Kudos

we have main frame adapters if you need to do striaght way. I-way mainframe adapters are available you use them integrate with cobol.

please reward points.

Thanks

Sreeram.G.Reddy

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Paulo,

One option it to use Java Proxies.

Also take a look at this blog by Saravna for Socket Integration using XI,

<a href="/people/saravanakumar.kuppusamy2/blog/2005/12/15/socket-integration-with-xi">Socket Integration with XI</a>

Regards

Bhavesh