Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build PI QA box

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi every one,

Could you please throw your inputs.

My client has - Dev and Prod PI boxes. They have been running w/o QA box. We are trying to build the same.

I am proposing, copy the snap shot of the prod box to create QA, to save some time?

does that make sense or should we do the installation from the scratch?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen

How are you. Which version of PI you are on ?

System copy will save time for BASIS.

Clean install will take time to setup.

I suggest system copy. I have followed the below steps after system copy.

* Copy database

* delete messages from the below tables

SXMSPMAST
SXMSSYERR
SXMSCLUP
SXMSCLUR
SXMSPHIST
SXMSPFRAWH
XI_AF_MSG

* Host file of Q system add entry for prod system and point to fake ip address so it wont register to PROD system.

* start application.

* change exchange profile entries

Thanks

Kiran Nekkanti

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Copying the production system is quick but then you will have to change the configuration to run an end to end scenario for all business systems in the landscape, sender and receiver agreements and even receiver determinations.

Another risk in copying the system is copying the live links from production box which might pick up data from third parties if not ECC.

I would recommend doing a system build from scratch. If the transports are organized then it is much cleaner and swift.

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I am more towards doing installation from scratch as I dont want any production messages in QA and do the clean up in QA.

As there are template configs now, installation from scratch should be fine.

What do you guys think?

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From my experience, it is better to be safe than sorry. I have seen 2 critical incidents in my project because of this. Copying still would a lot of rework in each scenario.

You can weigh the pros and cons and decide.

cheers

Ambrish

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Schedule archive deletion jobs to delete messages from PI quality system,we did couple of times copyting PI system but we never faced any major issues.

If you have a time then ask basis to install PI system and you have to move all objects to QA,it required more efforts.

Choice is yours

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Naveen, the best way is to copy the production system.

I have a suggestion here - when you take copy of the production system i think you should stop your channels else when the copied system(QA) comes up the channels will be in running state -- Refer to the note #1605672

Also this might be usefull

https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012003146900000492702008E/ReadinessCheckFor71.pdf

Regards,

Hareesh

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would prefer PI Production system copy.

If you want use different SID then possible or you can use same SID also,my recommendation would be use different SID,you need to change connection configurations in Adapters/Exchange profile/sm59....