cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI RFC FM DEBUGGING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having simple scenario where PI reads XML and calls RFC function module from PI to process data and trigger mail.

What are the different options to debug RFC function module while using Test run mode in PI Interface Mapping.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can consider using external debugging against the called function module and performing an ABAP debugging of it.

In order to utilize this approach, external debugging should be permitted in the called system - that is regulated by the profile parameter rfc/ext_debugging . For example, rfc/ext_debugging can be set to'3' - that will permit both HTTP and external debugging of RFC calls. Please note that the parameter is dynamically switchable, so there is no need to restart ABAP application servers if you adjust its value.

Next, you should log on to the called system via SAP GUI and specify the user that is used by the mapping to invoke the function module in debugging settings (any ABAP Workbench transaction: Utilities -> Settings -> ABAP Editor -> Debugging).

Here you should also ensure that the user account that you have used to log on to the system has sufficient authorizations for debugging (that are granted using authorization object S_DEVELOP). You can validate this by employing standard function module SUSR_CHECK_DEBUG_ABILITY and submitting the used user account to it.

After this is done, navigate to the called function module and set the external breakpoint in the required code line - e.g. at the beginning of the called function module (Function Builder: Utilities -> External breakpoints -> Set/delete external breakpoint).

Now you can execute the mapping and get the debugger session that you can use for your purposes in order to go through the called function module in debug mode.

Please also take a look at SAP Notes 668256 and 668252 to get more information on using HTTP/external debugging approach and on authorizations required for it.

Regards,

Vadim

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone send me link or document to create simple interface utilizing XML as input from FTP and PI will pick that file and process it using rfc FM and output will trigger Email.

Thanks,

A Pat.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you need RFC at the receiver side, take a look at asynch-synch bridge

See here for a walkthrough --> http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/File-RFC-File%28Without%20BPM%29?bc=true

You could also opt for a proxy solution which I would think would be preferrable

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/Step-by-step+FTP+to+ABAP+Proxy

Cheers

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

External debugging, as pointed out by Vadim worked fine for me. Apart from what Vadim already said, you will need to enter a dialog user in the RFC receiver communication channel.

If the sender part is not yet finished (often a real life situation when sender, interface and receiver are being developed at the same time according to common specs) you may as well use soapUI to simulate the sender by just issuing any SOAP or HTTP request (assuming that you are actually doing SOAP or HTTP -> PI -> RFC and not File -> PI -> RFC).

Cheers

Jens

Message was edited by: Jens Schwendemann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, will check this and see how to works out for me.

allamudi_loordh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Before doing that you see what is the request & response structure's by executing the SE37 for the same Function Module. Now come to PI and do pass the same request  and you can see the output in queue by right click in context of a field where you are passing the response.  make sure the RFC channel is running in successfully in Communication channel monitor before doing test in PI.

regards,

Loordh.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could configure RFC receiver adapter and do RFC lookup call. There is a blog about debugging RFC calls in XI from Michal. I see some content is not showing now.. You might want to check this

http://scn.sap.com/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/01/17/xi-debugging-rfc-calls-from-the-xi-not-po...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Will check further.