cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Support Package Stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recently my environment (SAP ECC 6 AS ABAP) was update to EHP5 SP 6.

Now the SAP delivery SP 10 for EHP5 (SPS 23). I already downloaded the *.SAR to update a test system, but it's my doubt.

Which does tool that i need to use SUM or SPAM? Are the both tools used to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Denis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

If you have stack.xml file with your downloads then you can use SUM tool, if you don't have that file, you can use SPAM tool.

I have used SUM tool and SPAM tool both on NetWeaver 7.3 and they works fine.
If your system is ABAP+Java system SUM tool will take care of it, you don't have to run JSPM separately for Java. But if you are using SPAM for ABAP than obviously you have to use JSPM for java.

I know people out there they will suggest to use SUM tool in all conditions. But I am kind of stupid one, and if someone will ask my personal opinion I will suggest to use SPAM or JSPM. Why to use sword where you can work with needle.

This SUM is actually a upgrade tool, it gives you benefit of saving downtime like if you are using 4 hours for SPAM downtime, with SUM your actual downtime would be less than an hour...But your SUM tool it self will run for if not triple time of total SPAM time then definitely more than double time, plus there will a shadow instance created and new tablespace as well just like in actual SAP version upgrade, which kind of annoys me.

in short, if you are looking for shortest production downtime and extra work go for SUM, else you can manage for those extra hours downtime for your production then there is no fun in going through all the SUM pain.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry folks,when I started replying I was not aware this was a duplicate post

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

that's a duplicate

close it

pls

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like a duplicate thread. Refer original thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/3350022