cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split a large table into multiple packages - R3load/MIGMON

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are in the process of reducing the export and import downtime for the UNICODE migration/Conversion.

In this process, we have identified couple of large tables which were taking long time to export and import by a single R3load process.

Step 1:> We ran the System Copy --> Export Preparation

Step 2:> System Copy --> Table Splitting Preparation

We have created a file with the large tables which are required to split into multiple packages and where able to create a total of 3 WHR files for the following table under DATA directory of main EXPORT directory.

SplitTables.txt (Name of the file used in the SAPINST)

CATF%2

E071%2

Which means, we would like each of the above large tables to be exported using 2 R3load processes.

Step 3:> System Copy --> Database and Central Instance Export

During the SAPInst process at Split STR files screen , we have selected the option 'Split Predefined Tables' and select the file which has predefined tables.

Filename: SplitTable.txt

CATF

E071

When we started the export process, we haven't seen the above tables been processed by mutiple R3load processes.

They were exported by a Single R3load processes.

In the order_by.txt file, we have found the following entries...

-

order_by.txt----

# generated by SAPinst at: Sat Feb 24 08:33:39 GMT-0700 (Mountain

Standard Time) 2007

1. default package order: by name

CATF

D010TAB

DD03L

DOKCLU

E071

GLOSSARY

REPOSRC

SAP0000

SAPAPPL0_1

SAPAPPL0_2

-

We have selected a total of 20 parallel jobs.

Here my questions are:

a> what are we doing wrong here?

b> Is there a different way to specify/define a large table into multiple packages, so that they get exported by multiple R3load processes?

I really appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Nikee

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Nikee,

We encountered the same porblem...

The .WHR files are wel made and the whr.txt looks OK, but the export doesn't consider the splitting! As we have a 1,5 T database the export time is very time

How do you resolve the problem

Thanks for help

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Package Splitter will generate seperate .STR packages for the tables specified in your input file for SAPInst.

R3ta will generate .WHR files.

The .WHR and .STR files need to reside in the DATA directory.

Include the .WHR files in your order_by file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nikki/ Christian,

I am facing the same problem.

Please let me know whether the following is true.

1- Table splitting preparation (R3ta) -> is used for splitting small tables (which generates WHR files).

2- Database and Central Instance export (specify input file) -> This input file is used for splitting large tables (which generates splitted STR files). Example: A large table CDCLS if specified as CDCLS%2 will have CDCLS1.STR and CDCLS2.STR ( two split files for 2 R3load processes).

The .WHR (created in step 1 for small tables) and .STR files (created in step 2 for large tables) are residing in the DATA directory.

3- How do I include the .WHR files, in my order_by file clause. What is the file where I should specifiy this parameter. Is it export_monitor_cmd.properties or is it import_monitor_cmd.properties?

I very much appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Haleem

former_member331455
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Haleem,

As for your queries are concerned -

1. With R3ta , you will split large tables using WHERE clause. WHR files get generated. If you have mentioned CDCLS%2 in the input file for table splitting, then it generates 2~3 WHR files CDCLS-1, CDCLS-2 & CDCLS-3 (depending upon WHERE conditions)

2. While using MIGMON ( for sequencial / parallel export-import process), you have the choice of Package Order in th e properties file.

E.g : For Import - In the import_monitor_cmd.properties, specify

1. Package order: name | size | file with package names

orderBy=/upgexp/SOURCE/pkg_imp_order.txt

And in the pkg_imp_txt, I have specified the import package order as

BSIS-7

CDCLS-3

SAPAPPL1_184

SAPAPPL1_72

CDCLS-2

SAPAPPL2_2

CDCLS-1

Similarly , you can specify the Export package order as well in the export properties file ...

I hope this clarifies your doubt

Warm Regards,

SANUP.V