cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erwin like functionality

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Erwin I can extract  the contents of a Subject Area to spreadsheet using a report.

The list of Columns will extract the entire model to excel.  How do I limit the extract to excel to only those tables in the diagram.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Iain, I can think of two ways (there may be more) of doing this in PD16.1.

1) packages are the PowerDesigner equivalent of ERwin's subject areas. Create a package, and then move entities into it, or copy them and use 'paste as shortcut' to add them to the package as shortcuts (so they're still 'owned' by the model, not the package). Open the package diagram (to change the focus from the model to the package), and select 'Entities' on the Model menu, ensuring you click on the 'Include Shortcuts' button on the toolbar; this will show all the entities contained in the package, including shortcuts (the same list as you can see in the browser). You can filter and sort this list, and export to Excel.

2) If you want each entity to be classified by the owning 'subject area', such as Finance, Customer, Banking, Policy, or whatever, you could create a list of stereotype values in a model extension, ensuring that you do NOT select 'Use as Metaclass' for each one.

Now select the stereotype for each entity. Open a list of entities or list report, and use the stereotype propertyto filter the before or after exporting to Excel. If you haven't created a list of stereotypes, you can just type them in, but that introduces the possibility of error.

Of course, an entity can only have one stereotype, so it can only appear in one of these 'stereotype' groups, so it's not quite the same as what ERwin does.

If you have another use for the stereotype, create a 'subject area' property to hold it, and use it in the same way.

Answers (0)