cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect MDM to Information Steward 4.1

0 Kudos

Hej

We have SAP NeatWeaver MDM 7.1 SP8. We also are starting to user SAP Information Steward 4.1. On MDM solution we have few repositories like: Customer, Materials, Vendors,.....

Currently we would like to connect MDM to IS. Can you please describe how to do it?

Can I connect MDM, in that way as all MDM repositories will be visible in IS.

Thank you for help.

BR

Rafal Paczynski

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rafal,

the standard way to achieve this is using the dbviews on the MDM repository to provide an easy to consume flat view of master data objects (like Customer, Materials, ..) within your MDM database. Then you create a database connection to your MDM repository database where the dbuser is able to access the created dbview and you can easily add the views (like tables) to your IS project, voilà you can do profiling, bind your validation rules, create scorecards etc. on the dbviews like on any other physical table you know from RDBMS.

You can find more details on the dbviews and how to generate them with an additional tool here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1815174

or here

http://scn.sap.com/message/13457855#13457855

I think with SAP NetWeaver MDM 7.1 SP10 there have been some recent updates on enabling the creation of dbviews via the CLIX component.

Additional note: Don't forget that with SAP Information Steward 4.1 you can expose the internal DQ Scorecard designed in IS also via an URL to any other external application. I have seen nice direct integration of the DQ Scorecard e.g. into the SAP Enterprise Portal or SAP MDG or other applications, so that the end user of the applications does not have to leave hi swell known environment to review the quality score of its data.

Best,

Niels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niels

Thank you for your replay. I am currently looking into it. It seems we need to have an extra software from SAP called DB Views to create views in IS SQL database.

I had some problem with links you reffered to, but I in case somebody else will be looking into that same case. Here is the link to documentation:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SAPMDM/Integrating+SAP+NetWeaver+MDM+with+SAP+BusinessObjects+D...

Did you tried to connect SAP BW7.3 systems to Inforamtion Steward ?

Later on we also will be interested to connect BW to IS.

Thank you for replay.

BR

Rafal

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rafal,

The additional component of the SAP NW MDM product is creating the DBViews within your MDM repository database, this has not anything to do with IS, it is an general enhancement of MDM to provide more useable data access to the underlying core table model.

Information Steward  can then use the DBViews after you have created your database connection to the MDM repository database. When you are going to the "Add table" dialog in your IS project, you will be able to not only embed the raw tables but also the DBviews.

Connecting SAP NW BW is all described in the IS manuals. Create a database connection to an SAP Application and choose the Business Warehouse.

Niels

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Niels

Thank you for your explenations. I am waiting now to receive bdViews application from SAP.

BR

Rafal

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I know it has been some time since last activity in this thread. But wanted to add here that with SAP NetWeaver MDM 7.1 SP10 there has been indeed the addition of native dbview creation from the command line into the product. So no need for getting SAP Consulting to create the dbviews.

And from this self-service creation, then Information Steward database connection to the MDM repository database can be set up and profiling and rule tasks can directly be executed on the dbviews.

More details on the

Niels

0 Kudos

Niels,

Can we connect IS 4.2 to older versions of NW MDM? For eg IS 4.2 with NW MDM 7.1 SP6? Is there any limitation or work arounds to achieve this?

Thanks

NielsWeigel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As mentioned in one of the earlier articles in here:

In former NW MDM versions there was the way to have SAP consulting set up database views on top of the standard data model of NW MDM, providing more logical and joined master data information, that was then used as to access the data.

The standard way to achieve this is using the dbviews on the MDM repository to provide an easy to consume flat view of master data objects (like Customer, Materials, ..) within your MDM database. Then you create a database connection to your MDM repository database where the dbuser is able to access the created dbview and you can easily add the views (like tables) to your IS project, voilà you can do profiling, bind your validation rules, create scorecards etc. on the dbviews like on any other physical table you know from RDBMS.

You can find more details on the dbviews and how to generate them with an additional tool here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1815174

or here

http://scn.sap.com/message/13457855#13457855

Niels

0 Kudos

Niels, Thanks for clarification.

Answers (0)