cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to perform Unicode conversion and EHP6 Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

We are Planning for Unicode conversion and EHP6 Upgrade in our existing SAP Landscape for setting HANA environment. Actually we are Having few query for the same.

1.   1-  Currently we are on ECC 6.0 SR3  (BASIS- 70027- ABAP- 70027, BW- 70029, SAP_AP- 70006)

2.    2- Can we perform (CU & UC) EHP6 upgrade & Unicode conversion, as a one project (shot) from our current Patch level (ECC 6.0 SR3) ?

3.    3- If yes, then on which sp level of EHP6 for HANA Implementation ?

4.    4- As per PAM , they are saying you cannot upgrade ERP 6.0 EHP6 directly , because first you have to Upgrade ERP 6.0 EHP1, then from there only You can go to EHP6 upgrade. (https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=pvnr%3D01200314690900002457%26pt%3Dg%257Cr)

5.    5 -But in some SAP notes I have found from ECC6.0 SR3 you can directly go for ECC 6.0 EHP6 upgrade. (1496212 & 1064635 and even EHP6 upgrade guide is also saying the same thing.

6.    6- should I go for CU&UC in my case ? or would be great if will split into 2 phase like 1st EHP6 upgrade then Unicode conversion ?

7.    7- How much downtime would require I perform CU&UC (Current db size 750GB)

8.    8- How much downtime require if I will split this activity into 2 phase like 1st go to EHP6 upgrade and then perform Unicode conversion.

9.    9- If I have to perform CU&UC then which tool will work on this ? SUM ?

10 10- Currently we have windows 2003 , IA64, NU, SQL 2005

11 11-  So 1st I will perform backup restore on new hardware, with Windows 2012 and SQL 2012,

12.12- Then only will plan for EHP6 & Unicode.

13- WE are planning to implement SAP HANA side car implementation scenario on platform edition. We will have a separate SLT server.

Please guide me & provide some info on this.

Regards,

Nilesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh,

2) The specific CU&UC approach is not supported if NW source and target release does not change. However (I assume you have a single code page system), it is always possible to do the upgrade and the Unicode conversion sequentially (in one downtime). The downtime will be slightly higher (e.g. for the Unicode nametab), but in most cases this can be accepted.

3) You need to do the upgrade in the first place to a sp level which is sufficient for HANA, then the Unicode conversion can be done.

4) I think this is not correct - upgrade should be also possible from ECC 6.0 EhP0 to EhP6

5) That is also my opinion

6) Do it seperately, but in one downtime (and hence as one project). The difference to CU&UC is only small.

7) Downtime is difficult to predict. Please have a look at:

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700001279022010E

😎 Not much more as outlined in 2)!

9) CU&UC is not supported in your case.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

maybe your project is over in the meantime, but I found this post, because I have the same problem. But in the meantime it should possible to do the CU&UC from ECC6 EHP0 to EHP6. As per SAP note it is stated: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/928729

"

1. For which source and target releases is the Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC) supported?

With SUM SP11 CU&UC is available for all supported upgrades and updates of the following applications:

• ERP, ECC
  • BW/BI
  • SCM
  • CRM
  • SRM

With SUM SP11 CU&UC is also available for SP updates of applications based on SAP NetWeaver 7.00 and higher."

Hope this clarifies.

Best Regards,

Steffen Herrmann