Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL with LDAP

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Does anyone have a decent guide for setting up LDAP access to IDM?  At this point, I'll take any LDAP, but would prefer Active Directory. I also don't care what kind of CA is being used (Linux  or Windows)  Just want to master this particular skill.

Thanks,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

just to clarify: you want an Active Directory to get access _to_ IdM using the LDAP protocol? I think you should use VDS for that, but beyond this I have no clue

In case you want IdM to connect to ActiveDirectory using SSL I have some steps to follow (not a real guide though):

1. SSL is already configured on MS-AD, you know the port (usually 636)

2. Change the LDAP_PORT in the repository

3. Example: InitialLoad Job - ReadFromLDAP Pass - Tab Source: Change Security Option to "SSL"

4. Import the Certificate used; herefore I like the tool "InstallCert.java" supplied by SUN, you can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/java-use-examples/source/browse/trunk/src/com/aw/ad/util/InstallCert.java

4.1 Compile the .java: javac.exe InstallCert.java

4.2 Run it: java InstallCert dc-host.domain.ext:636

4.3 Ignore the StackTrace (if any) and select the certificate

4.4 In the directory where you executed InstallCert you'll find a file jssecacerts

4.5 In IdM-MMC, check the Path to java, e.g. c:\jre6\bin\java.exe

4.6 Copy jssecacerts to c:\jre6\lib\security

5. InitialLoad - ReadFromLDAP-Pass works with SSL now (at least it did for me)

Hope this helps already

BR

Michael

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

Thanks, this looks helpful.  Will it also work for a To LDAP pass?

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

It should.  However, there is one big caveat - the settings in AD security.  The above should work fine for default installations.  If they've hardened it in any way it becomes more problematic.  It might require your server to have certificates created using the same root CA etc (or even more mucking about...).

Hopefully the AD team has left it alone or at least documented it.

Peter

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

could you fight your way through?

Just curious...

BR

Michael

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Haven't had a chance to get into the lab to try it.  Hopefully this week

Murali_Shanmu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matt,

It should work for a To or From LDAP pass. In the security guide, there is a section on this. However, Michael has provided with a more elaborate steps.

"7.4.1.2 Connecting to an LDAP server over SSL"

Cheers,

Murali