cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation Server error trying to patch

0 Kudos

Hello,

I get the following error when trying to patch my SAP Installation Server Administration Tool:

The patch requires base versions for some products. These base versions are not present on this installation server.

The SAP install server is v 9.0.1.15 and the version I am trying to patch it with is GUI 7.30 (PL3_gui730_3-10010496.exe).

The existing GUI version is 7.20 (7200.3.10.1075, build 1305976, patch level 10, hotfix 3).

Please can someone explain what is going wrong and how I can patch the server correctly?

Thanks,

James

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Fiisrt off if you have not read the manual, do so.  Secondly, read all avaiable documentation.

SAP Note 1266552 - Migrating an Installationserver to a new Compilation

SAP Note 1587566 - Installation problems eith SapSetup Version 9.0  Version 9.0.33.0 is already available.

Update to 9.0.33.0, then use Compilation DVD 50113858_6 & 50113858_7.  You need to be using NWUpdateInstServer.exe and follow the the instructions from the Wizard.  You can get information on this in advance by reading the installation Guide for 7.30, starting on page 24.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Regards,

Dan Mead

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help, I've got the install server and the package up to date.

When clients detect the update it won't install though, I get 'not able to grant admin rights'.

I have configured LSH, however I don't think it is actually working as it should. It used to work fine when I was deploying 7.20 and using the older version of the install tool.

Is there meant to be an LSH service listed in Windows Services? There isn't one.

When I complete the LSH wizard, I am sure it used to give me some sort of confirmation...but the window just disappears.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Update:

When I try run the NwSapSetupIs.exe manually, nothing happens and I get the following error in logs:

16:46:04 NwSapFeiIs  1E  Installation service : failed to register SCM dispatcher routine. Error message: The service process could not connect to the service controller. Error code 0x00000427 (1063).

16:46:04 NwSapFeiIs  2   Installer Service exit code Error message: The operation completed successfully. Error code 0x00000000 (0).

Update 2:

I've also found this in the logs:

16:44:31 NwSapsAtlC  1   UI: User marks the checkbox to show the password...

16:44:41 NwSapAdmin  1E  ERROR: Could not store IS user credentials: regConnectRegistry() failed in ::RegConnectRegistry Error message: The network path was not found. Error code 0x00000035 (53).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Are you trying to install on XP, Windows 7, or Windows 8?

The installation server should be hosted on a machine that can work as a file-server

and serve numerous network sessions.

2. Windows Server 2003 (or equivalent) is recommended as the installation server

operating system with the following „Local Security Policy‟:

○ “Accounts: Guest account status” – Enabled.

○ “Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users” - Enabled.

3. The installation server should be created (and hence configured) using NWCreateInstServer.exe.

Procedure

In order to configure automatic workstation update, proceed as follows:

1. Open the administration tool NWSapSetupAdmin.exe.

2. Choose Services -> Configure automatic update.

Service Control Manager (SCM) is a special system process under Windows NT family of operating systems, which starts, stops and interacts with Windows service processes.[1] It is located in %SystemRoot%\System32\services.exe executable. Service processes interact with SCM through a well-defined API, and the same API interface is used internally by the interactive Windows service management tools such as the MMC snap-in Services.msc and the command-line Service Control utility sc.exe.

0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Thanks again for helping me out here.

I configured the Local Sec Policy as per the manual already. The problem was that the Remote Registry service was not running on the server. When I enabled that, the LSH config went through fine. Now I am getting a different error when trying to install the update on a client (same error on XP and 7 clients):

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1   Service installation (first try)

09:52:30 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1   Service installation (second try)

09:52:30 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Remote service installation failed.

09:52:30 NwSapFeiUt  1   Successfully sent message:

ERROR _SERVICE_INSTALL_FAILED_

09:52:30 NwSapFeiDs  1   DONE with remote installation

I have tried:

Disabling firewall on server and client

Ensuring remote registry, remote procedure call, and rpc locator service are running on both server and client

Recreating share

Rebooting server and client

Restarting LSH service

Ensuring LSH account is admin on both server and client

Out of ideas now!

Cheers,

James

hugo_amo
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi James,

This message The RPC server is unavailable means that  one or more services could not be reached.
=> Reason: Firewall or not started Services.

Below mentioned Services must be available on the clients:
  #Remote Registry", #Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and #RPC Locator"
The Firewall also must be configured in the way that these Services are not going to be blocked.

The Server needs the Services #Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and #RPC Locator" running.

Regards,

Hugo

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi james,

Please go through the following thread,

Error code 0x000006ba (1722)

Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi Hugo,

I have made sure all those services are running on both client and server, and disabled both firewalls but the same problem occurs.

Regards,

James

hugo_amo
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi James,

ummm, at this stage I can only recommend you to apply the latest patch because it seems something went wrong and reboot the Installation Server. Also, could worth a try that after this, you reconfigure the LSH and DS Service as well.

Sorry, I run out of further ideas.

Regards,

Hugo

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Can you please post your sapsetup.log file to the message?

Did you patch your installation server to the latest patch (33)

Regards,

Jude

0 Kudos

I have configured a new installation server on Windows Server 2012.

The SAP Installation Server version is 9.0.35.0, which I believe to be the latest version.

I have configured the LSH and DS services, and made sure the same account is admin on the clients.

I have also made sure the RPC and remote registry services are running on the server and client.

On the client I get the error 'NWSapSetup was not able to grant you administrator rights'.

There are no logs created on the client.

The server shows this in the logs:

10:32:21 NwSapFeiDs  1   Service installation (1. try)

10:32:47 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

10:32:47 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

10:32:47 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Remote installation with host (address) "TEST1LAP11.corp.cmsdistribution.com" was NOT successful

10:33:13 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

10:33:13 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

10:33:13 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Remote installation with host (address) "192.168.58.27" was NOT successful

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

James

former_member201355
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I got the same error on an XP workstation installing without admin privileges.  This is admin rights issue. Check the LSH user once again

You can find the logs on your client machine at C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs. 

0 Kudos

Hi Thirumal,

There are no logs created on the client machine. I have tried it on a different client, and I get a different error on the server logs:

15:48:12 NwSapFeiUt  1E  Installation service : failed to start service. Error message: The system cannot find the file specified. Error code 0x00000002 (2).

15:48:12 NwSapFeiDs  1E  The service could not be started at 'C:\SAP GUI Server\Setup\NwSapSetupIs.exe'

15:48:12 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Remote installation with host (address) "test.ion.com" was NOT successful

Any ideas?

Please see the service screenshot from the client machine below...the path to executable does not exist on the client, it only exists on the server. Surely the system should copy the executable, and then reference it? Looks like that isn't happening....

Thanks,

James

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello James,

Could you find the answer to your question ?

If so I Will confirm that thread

Regards,

Eric

SDN NW Client Moderator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning, we have exactly the same error: when we want to install or upgrade sapgui via SAP Distribution Server to our PCs.

Extract of NwSapSetupDs.log (server site)

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1   Server got a connection on the pipe

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1   Pipe read message:

PWSxxxxxxx.domain_x.ch|10.1.xx.xxx /fs="\\sapdsprd01\sapserver\Setup" /cmdline='/package:sapgui_730 /silent /lshAdminMode' /_upid=1304 /winsta="WinSta0" /desktop="Default" /event="Global\IS_NW_SAPSETUP_Sync_Event{B46F88BA-8076-41C4-95DD-49392CC4A54C}" 

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   Transmitted string: PWSxxxxxxx.domain_x.ch|10.1.xx.xxx /fs="\\sapdsprd01\sapserver\Setup" /cmdline='/package:sapgui_730 /silent /lshAdminMode' /_upid=1304 /winsta="WinSta0" /desktop="Default" /event="Global\IS_NW_SAPSETUP_Sync_Event{B46F88BA-8076-41C4-95DD-49392CC4A54C}" 

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   CRemoteInst is going to start new thread

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   New thread is running

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   Going to create named pipe \\.\PIPE\_nw_sapfeids_is_pipe_

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1   Listener pipe created

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1   Listener pipe is waiting for notifications

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   Service installation (first try)

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   Service installation (second try)

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1E  MakeUserLocalAdmin: Failed to lookup group account. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable. Error code 0x000006ba (1722).

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Could not make the user for IS a local admin.

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1E  Remote service installation failed.

07:27:42 NwSapFeiUt  1   Successfully sent message:

ERROR _SERVICE_INSTALL_FAILED_

07:27:42 NwSapFeiDs  1   DONE with remote installation

*** End....

At the client site there is no log

Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition 64bit.

SAP Setup:

SAPGUI 730 compilation 2 patch level 4.

I have already done the following activities:

stop distribution service

re-configure LSH

reboot server

reboot client

Any idea?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, just a little update.

Reconfigured SAP Server with new compilation 2, level 9.0.32.0

No sapgui patches installed, we are now at level zero.

Now it works.

former_member201355
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Franco,

Please post the log (NwSapsetup) from your client machine.

Here's the path for the logs on workstation

C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs

Thanks

Thirumal

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi James,

right now, the current SAP GUI version is 720 on GUI server and you are trying to apply the patch of 730. So, You need to Import the new Product(730) in SAP GUI Console and then you can apply the Patch of SAP GUI 730.

Regards,