cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jsf upgrade on SAP Netweaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want upgrading the jsf implementation in own application. Ectually, we using jsf 1.2

Do you know if your last version of SAP Netweaver is compatible with jsf 2.0 (or jsf 2.1) and if it's supported by the SAP support ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The latest version of NetWeaver (currently 7.31) supports Java EE 5 and therefore JSF 1.2.

I currently cannot tell you when this will be updated.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

Thank you.

Do you know if a roadmap is available to known when Java EE 6 (and therefore jsf 2.x) is ready to migrate our solution?

It's a little bit difficult to maintain 2 branchs (java 5 and java 6) due to multiple support of Applications servers platforms (jboss, websphere,netweaver, glassfish, BEA...).

Gilles

daniel_ruiz2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried deploying another RI (2.1) into a SDA component and using a hard-reference in your application-j2ee-engine.xml using prepend="true"?

This should be enough to load another RI for your development.

Since it seems you are doing cross-application-server development, you may need to consider some 'additional dependencies' when dealing with NW AS in your build process to embed that file. (and also point out to the right location of the custom deployed library in the server)

There is no 'straight-forward' blog or content in SDN that I'm aware of, but this http://scn.sap.com/thread/2132628 could be a really nice starting point for you.

Please also note that as soon your classloader references another RI it will always dump some messages into the logs saying you have more than one RI in the classpath.

Hope it helps,

D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Do you know if your solution respect rules for license support for production use by SAP?

I just want to be sure to implement our solution and we have always support if we have issues with the SAP Netweaver application in production.

Gilles

daniel_ruiz2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Giles,

I have no idea.. But usually, the problem won't be in a JSF RI unless you are using beta versions. Normally, when you face issues you face issues with SAP delivered software, and as far I'm aware Netweaver 7.3 is EE 5 certified, so any internal component should be supported - but then again, it's SAP, so expect the unexpected.

JSF 2:

- Servlet 2.5, JSP 2.1 and JSTL 1.2

I also think you could use jboss el-api/el-impl jar with any 2.0 RI and this should be much better than the supplied el-api from NW.

JSF 2.1:

- Servlet 3.0 which is EE 6 may be a problem...

Hope it helps,

D.

PS: I use quite a lot JSF 2 in SAP WCEM 2.0 (and this approach I mentioned is what they used as well) - visit the Wiki Space for more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniell,

Thanks for your answer, That's help me better for starting.

Do you know where SAP Netweaver 7.4 is out and if this next version is compatible to Java EE 6 ?

It's just to see if it's more interesting waiting 2 months before starting and migrate on jsf 2.1 or migrate immediatelly on jsf 2.0 (due to not-waiting 2 years for 7.4)

Thanks

Gilles

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Next version of NetWever will be here soon, but there is no Java EE 6 in there.

The only SAP platform with  Java EE6 currently is SAP HANA Cloud.

A roadmap with further plans is under construction but not yet available.

Regards,

Benny

daniel_ruiz2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles,

As Benny commented out, River has support - and I'm sure you should never really 'wait' on SAP, because they really lag behind in Java.

After all, 2.1 is more of a maintenance release - upgrading from 1.2 to 2.0 should be a major step, but from 2.0 to 2.1 should be just OK.

Cheers,

D.

jpenninkhof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

mentioned in a comment on his blog

that SAP is "working on making also our on-premise Java platform support Java (J2EE) 6 in the not too far future". Is that a different version than you are referring to?

Cheers,

Jan

former_member185970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The next NW version (7.4) that will be released soon does not yet contain Java 6. We will provide Java 6 on premise based on our certified solution from the HANA Cloud Platform (i.e. LJS) later...

jpenninkhof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification, Björn. Does this mean that the Java 6 on-premise solution will run in parallel with the next Netweaver Java version (7.4), or will it be a successor (perhaps 7.5?).

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

JEE 7 anyone?

NW Java using Java 7?

former_member185970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Rather parallel or "on top". Current plan...

former_member185970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Slow with the young horses 😉

jpenninkhof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Ah, that's interesting...!

Not sure if you can already elaborate on those plans at this point, but it would be very interesting to know whether this LJS-based server would follow what is built for the Cloud Platform or leans more towards the current Java AS, for which a lot of proprietary compontens were built (such as CAF/WD/NWA/EP etc).

I would absolutely welcome a on-premise Java server that has the same capabilities as the cloud server, allowing for just one code-base for applications that run both on-premise and in the cloud.

Cheers,

Jan

jpenninkhof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Just out of interest, are you already using JEE 7 features anywhere?

Must admit that I'm not even using JEE 6 specific features myself. The benefit is that it does keep code more portable

Cheers,

Jan

former_member185970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

OK. Here's our current thinking:

We plan to provide Java 6 in parallel to the current Java 5 NW AS Java: We don't plan to replace the existing AS Java, but extend it with the LJS-based, standards-oriented Java 6 runtime environment. Lifecycle Management, User management etc. will live from the existing infrastructure that is in place.

There are no plans to migrate all the existing infrastructure and frameworks built into the Java 5 environment over to LJS-based Java 6 (which is driven out of our cloud approach along open standards).

jpenninkhof
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Awesome, I like it as lot! I tried pressing the like button several times, but it would only take one

You have probably thought about this already, but it would be great if the LJS-based server would host the same APIs as the cloud based LJS in terms of e.g. connectivity and accessing user-data (as compared to e.g. UME-calls).

Thanks for the eloboration, Björn. This info is very valuable to me.

Cheers,

Jan

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not using JEE7 features yet as there is notJEE7 AS available (glassfish 4). JEE7 is a big step towards cloud, although PaaS is delayed to JEE8.

Some feature look promising like JSON & WebSockets. Better to have it as soon as possible as seeing customers put JEE7 on the must support list and NW on-premise being once more treated as the exception

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to not confuse Java people here: with Java 6 and 7 you mean JEE 6 and JEE 7

former_member185970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, JEE. sorry for the confusion.

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

we prefer to call it HANA Cloud or by it's project name "Neo". River was something - different...

Actually the cloud options and the new agile working at SAP allows us to stay much closer to industry standards than ever before, as we could decouple from our own business software based quality procedures that are time consuming and huge - but necessary for their purposes.

You can see this on the fast changes of HANA Cloud. And the plan is to integrate this fast pace into on premise too. This may give us the opportunity to be much faster with new standards (although slower than in the cloud...)

Regards,

Benny

daniel_ruiz2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

I really don't fancy on 'hype' so you may call it whatever you like while the main thing that matters for Java Development (IMO) is whatever name is certified against Oracle - River, Neo... those names have a meaning to me and I cannot say the same about anything that has 'HANA' on it's name.

Cheers,

D.

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And while were at solving the confusion, there is JEE6/7 and JEE6/7 web profile:

http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/jcp/java_ee-7-pfd-spec/index.html

For HANA Cloud we are talking about web profile and for the on-premise version we are talking about bringing that JEE6 web profile to NW AS JAVA, right?

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

absolutely right.

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Daniel,

better get used to it, as the whole platform is named HANA and in a couple of years will be as familiar to you as NetWeaver is today. River and Neo then will be long gone and Oracle - I'm not sure what will happen to that one...

I think I should blog about this, but have no time now...

Regards,

Benny

Answers (0)