cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-category in Expenses Types

0 Kudos

I would like to have a sub-category assigned to 'Expenses Types' in the Expenses Report.

That is, when the category 'Hotel' is choosen, another drop down list will appear with sub-categories like: Hote Central London, Hotel Home Counties, Hotel Main cities.

Does anybody know whether this is possible and/or has been implemented in the past?

thx & rgrds,

Laura

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

S0017256970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laura

I can suggest a way to achieve this only if you really think that is required for your business but this would not be a standard approach.

This solution will require some developement activity along with customization. Stanard SAP provides us fields for each expense Type which we can hide, make optional, required  etc etc. FOr your otel Expense Type choose any field that is currently hidden and is a dropdown. Once this is avilable on the WDA screen, get the field name changed as per your need and do the customization to populate value for that field. Also you need to ensure that that field is only available when users selects Hotel. Think of it.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't side with your approach Tapas 😕

'Misusing' a standard field for means it hasn't been designed for is always pretty dangerous, even if you know 100% of the whole module things could go wrong... Plus, even if you do these changes in the WDA; i.e. manipulating the visibility and the node's value help, you still have to consider that you might have to change/modify/enhance a lot of the business logic in SAPMP56T to make it work consistently. Furthermore, applications that work on base of the manipulated 'Field' will not automatically adapt, which means even more work.

I would rather knock sense into the client to just make several expense type entries rather than trying to bend the application 'inorganically' for something they probably just want born from an idea for no deeper reason.

Cheers, Lukas

S0017256970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas

I agree with you and that is the reason I specifically mentioned that if at all this is 100% required by her client and it will not be a standard approach.

0 Kudos

Hi Tapas, Thanks for your input. Although risky, as you mentioned, it seems to be an adventurous approach and I liked it. I will be talking to my technical team today and we will assess this option. Thx & best regards, Laura

S0017256970
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You are welcome.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laura,

With sub category, the list will still be lengthy and will require user to scroll.

If you don't use travel planning. one possible option you have is to use the provider code to have the hotel vendors and then use BAdi to implement the check.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

We had a similar situation with our client where we have used the functionality for service provider in Expense type.

So for eg:

For Expense Type hotel, user also needs to choose service provider which is again a drop down list which you need to configure in system.

The service provider functionality in standard to differentiate the Symbolic accounts if needed but if there is no additional requirement for GL Splitting then you can use this standard way of having a second drop down in expense type.

Other idea would be to use the Trip type Enterprise specific in expense type.

See which one suits you.

Otherwise if you do a development and append new fields in standard structure there are many ways.

thanks

Alok

0 Kudos

Hi Alok, Thanks for your input. Would you know if I create a second dropdown table, derived from the choices of 'Expenses Types', I would be able to link to them the 'warning' sign that exists currently in this enviroment, that is, it warns the User, should their claim exceed a maximum allowed amount. Thx & rgrds,

Laura

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

In case you want to have limits based on this sub-list then you need to use either Trip Activity type, Enterprise Specific trip type as a list of values and in table T706B2 you need to specify the limit for combination of expense type and the parameter you use for sub-list.

Let me know if any doubts,

Thanks

Alok

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

as far as I know, there is no such functionality. The most "narrow" way to achieve what you want would be to just create dedicated expense types for each of your Hotel-Variations. May I ask what sense lies behind the idea of creating sub-categories? Why would you need them or rather what would be the consequence of having them?

Cheers, Lukas

0 Kudos

Hi Lucas, Thanks for your input. One reason to have a sub-category is to avoid overpopulating the dropdown list of 'Expenses Types'. One of my markets (USA) for example has 50 different categories for hotels (all with a price assigned to them). the second and most important reason is to link the 'warning' sign to each of them, should their claim violate the policy, that is, exceed the allowed amount. Please let me know what you think. Thx & best regards, Laura