Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Mikhail,

This really entails two answers or tracks of thought.

First, let consider the hardware.  On the Solaris side, I would assume that you refer to Solaris on SPARC technology.  Linux and Windows would only be supported on the Intel and AMD processors.  Customers have reported that running IQ on Intel/AMD systems is faster than on SPARC systems.  Tests that I've run have shown the same thing.  Though, I will be honest and say that these tests were over a year ago and Oracle has made some changes to their hardware.  Most customers will fall into the trap of using the Sun Oracle T-series processors.  These are great for CPU intensive applications, but not so good for applications that do a lot of IO and CPU tasks simultaneously.

The Intel and AMD processors tend to be the fastest, or very nearly so, on the market.  I have done a tremendous amount of work on that platform and have not seen issues with the processors and processor speed.

Second, we have to consider the OS.  This is a personal and/or corporate preference most of the time.  Too many times we answer this question only to find out that the standard is something that else altogether.

If the choice between Linux and Windows on Intel, pick the platform that you and the company are most familiar with.  I've seen a huge increase in the Linux systems over the past few years.  Windows is still there and in use, though, too.

The question of Solaris as an OS is immaterial if using the SPARC processor as it is the only OS.  However, if you plan to look at Solaris on Intel/AMD (Solaris x64) then it again comes down to personal preference.  We have quite a few customers running Solaris x64.  Mostly because the migrated off the SPARC systems to Intel/AMD and wanted to maintain some sense of consistency at the OS level.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean Solaris on x64.

Which is prefered platform for IQ?  Solaris x86, Linux, Windows?

On which OS sybase written IQ kernel?  Something tell me that is linux, isn't?

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Ah, OK.  So assuming that the hardware is the same in all three operating systems, it really comes down to personal preference.  My preference is Linux.  I've used it more often than others and have built some large systems on it.  However, on Windows we have a 250 TB IQ installation with  40 multiplex nodes.  Rather large for Windows.  I see Solaris x64 when either a customer migrates from SPARC to Intel/AMD or the customer buys Oracle X series hardware.  Very rare otherwise.  Nothing wrong with the OS, it is just not widely seen by me in my work with customers.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Windows we have a 250 TB IQ installation with  40 multiplex nodes.

Wow, are you kidding ?

What kind of business running such an installation?