cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Web Service Utility SRT_UTIL to track web service calls for longer than 2 hours?

David-Broughton
Explorer

I love SRT_UTIL!  I go to the CONFIGURATION tab and input a REQUEST URI for my web service.  I then Activate the performance trace but not the functional trace (call stack-like stuff) or the payload trace (request / response stuff).  I press the SAVE CONFIGURATION button to save my input and start tracing.  Then, as people across our company call the web service there is a tidy log (on the PERFORMANCE TRACE tab) of who called this particular web service and when it was called.  Wonderful!

But...when I save my input, there is a display only field that says ACTIVE TRACES ARE VALID UNTIL and the system puts a date/time that is two hours from when I created the trace.  That's my problem / question.  I would like to leave this trace (which is much less verbose, I assume, than the call-stack and request/respons traces) active for a longer period of time to get a better feel for web service use, of this particular web service, over time.

Simlarly, I used /SOAMANAGER's SOA Runtime Log/Trace Viewer.  It gave me similar information and had timeframe options of "Last 30 minutes" up to "Last 24 hours".  But nothing longer. 

Does anyone know how to get a longer trace window?

Thanks in advance,
David

Side note:

Since this function module is not used in ABAP code (e.g., called from programs) but is only called via a web service, I tried using the SAP “statistics” to get hits on the underlying function.  I pulled the last 3 months of RFC stats using the /ST03G transaction (Global System Workload Analysis -> RFC Profiles).  However, it seems that functions called solely as web services did not appear on this list.  This report did indicate that the stats only apply to function calls "Started over RFC" which, I guess, means /ST03G will not work for functions called / started from a web service.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

attila_mikulan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi David

In SRT_UTIL it is not possible to extend the validity longer than 2 hours. But you can do that in the SOAMANAGER tracing tool. Within the Logs and Traces tab -> Trace configuration create a new entry, or edit the existing. Here you can specify the Expiration time in seconds. I tried it with 100 million seconds, the Trace was switched on until 2016

Last 30 minutes, Last 24 hours, etc. options are at the Log/Trace Viewer, not at the configuration. You can also select here extended periods. You need to click on the Advanced settings tab on the right.

I know you don't want to switch on Payload tracing, but for the record, let me add, that payload tracing shouldn't be switched on for a very long period. It slows down the system, nonetheless huge amount of data could be written if there are lots of WebService calls.

Cheers,

Attila

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Attila,

I have a requirement to turn on the trace for extended periods ( around 11 hrs each day  ). Some of the requests are  pretty large , up to 35 MB ins size and there could be a few hundred requests like these .

I want to know where this trace information is saved , file system or in the database ? And what precautions do I need to take if I turn this on  ?

Can you please advise ?

Thanks !

Cheers,
Vineeth