Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 before applying required ptchset

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Has anyone encountered the following:

I am trying to install a new XI/PI environment on a Windows x64 (amd64) box. The RDBMS DVD's provided have come with Oracle 10.2.0.1. But SAP has provided 'required' patch for only 10.2.0.2. To work around this, I was hoping there was an easy way to upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 and then apply the provided 'required' patch. Does anybody know of a way out?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should be able to download the patch CD. I did the same thing. I started installing PI and then when it prompted me to install the database I first installed Oracle and then before restarting the installation process with the SAP install GUI I also ran the Oracle patch installer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi harrison,

thanks for your response. It appears you had the same issue.

when i run OPatch installer, it says it cannot find the 10.2.0.2 version (that's true because so far the base dvd came with 10.2.0.1 only and I guess I would have to upgrade to 10.2.0.2 base first before I apply the required patch for that version). Did your installation complete successfully? I am guessing it is mandatory to patch upto 10.2.0.2 before I even start the sapinst install for PI. On the oracle website, there is a upgrade available (#4547817) which needs a oracle service id to download. I am thinking there should be a similar upgrade on the SAP service marketplace but not able to find it. could you please let me know how you worked around this issue? does the patch set for 10.2.0.2 also contain an upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 and some way of forcing the install over 10.2.0.1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

you install the patches before installing sapinst.exe as it asks for next patch you will get it in service.sap.com apply the patch once you apply patch it will run sucesful you wont getany errors then you run ur saoinst.exe

Regards

Sreeram.G.Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi shreeram,

how do i install the patch? I have downloaded the required patch for my environment (i.e. p5735497_10202_MSWIN-x8664 for 10.2 on windows 2003 R2 on AMD64) but this can be applied with OPatch only on base release 10.2.0.2. But since my base release is 10.2.0.1, the 'opatch apply' command fails. Do you know if i have to upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 before applying the required patch? Did you do it some other way?

thanks in advance

jb

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

Do you know if i have to upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 before applying the required patch?

you need to upgrade to 10.2.0.2 then you apply the patch otherwise as you said it will fail becuase their is no 10.2.0.2 in our database.

Regards

Sreeram.G.Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there an upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 available on service marketplace? If so, where can I get it? thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check in service.sap.com . i suggest download from oracle services place for this upgrade.

Regards

Sreeram.G.Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can finish the installation completely without performing the patch. The first time that's what I did accidentally and everything worked fine. I decided to go back and reinstall PI but patch it first because that was SAP's recommeded method. However, I can't imagine that the patch has anything that would break SAP if you installed it first, because you have to imagine that other customers installed PI before the patch came out, so they probably installed the patch as well. You don't have to patch before installing SAPINST. Just patch before the database load.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i don't see any upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3 on SAP service marketplace. On the oracle service site, it is available but i need a service id to log in. do you know of another workaround? thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

you want find it serice .sap .com if you cant get then dont install these patches without patches only starting installing sapinst.exe. it will work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi every one,

Could u please have a look at this thread:

reg,

Former Member
0 Kudos

please check if this is what you are looking for...

In service market place...goto "Downloads" tab....and click on "Database Patches"...in that under Oracle...there is Oracle 10.2.0.2

Thanks,

Renjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have already downloaded from here. The problem is when I try to install this patch with "Opatch apply", it fails saying the base version expected is 10.2.0.2. My question is how to upgrade from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2 before applying the patch. I don't see such an upgrade on service marketplace. On oracle website, there is a corresponding upgrade on metalink but requires a service id. Anybody encountered similar issues? I am installing on Windows 2003 R2 - amd64 machine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

dont install these patches at all. once you upgrade to 10.2.0.2 then you can install pacthes go with out tht and install sapinstall.exe

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any installation experts out there who can answer this? thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you open an OSS message on this ?

what was SAP's advice?

Thanks,

Renjith