Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Numbering on Incoming Quality Certificates

ajercan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who can share from his previous experience how can you register in SAP incoming quality certificates with an external number range.

I want to use the same range given by the supplier.

For this i tried to change in customizing the range type to external, but the program is giving a short dump:

Short text of error message:

Number range 01 of number range object QCERT_PUR is not internal

Long text of error message:

Diagnosis

The number range 01 for the number range object QCERT_PUR requested

by the system is not defined as an internal number range.

Thanks,

Andrei

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ajercan
Participant
0 Kudos

I have opened an OSS Message to SAP for this problem and waiting resolution, meanwhile i'm using a workaround through DMS.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you allowed external customers to provide an external number, how can you be sure that different vendors won't try to use the same number? You really can't, except by having agreed upon conventions with your vendors. Some larger companies have thousands of vendors.  Coordinating this would be a ridiculous effort.  Making sure larger vendors had a larger assigned number range so they wouldn't run out while not assigning too large of a number range to smaller vendors would be a challenge.  The whole process could be difficult. Now if you are a small company with only two vendors sending you data, maybe not a big problem.  But SAP doesn't know that.

Better to use an internal number and than use the vendor's number as a attribute somewhere.  This also makes the setting up of new vendors much easier as well since you don't have to configure a custom number range for them.

FF

ajercan
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, in this case the company has niche products and they have fewer vendors for which they track the certificates by the number provided from the vendor.

We could use as a workaround document management by defining a new storage for quality certificates, new document type, define and assign statuses to the certificate, and assign object links to the purchase order and PO item.

Thanks,

Andrei

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ajercan
Participant
0 Kudos

Solved the problem by creating a custom DMS document for quality certificates, and applying 3 OSS Notes(1729128, 1741024, 1743527) to link the document to the inspection lot.(a new tab for document link will be available in the inspection lot and at usage decision)

Hope this helps others,

Andrei

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for providing your final solution!  So few do.  I'm sure it will help some one else in the future.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

I feel, system program itself checking only for Internal Number range.

Do the debugging of the necessary program with the help of ABAP consultants.

ajercan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Maheswaran,

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm wondering why this is not possible by standard, prior to build a custom I would like to use the standard functionalities.

To have an external number on the incoming certificate seems to be a standard practice, this is why I believe that this should be cover by the standard transaction without further enhancements.

Thanks,

Andrei