cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7.1 installation: SAPINST vs. SWPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

We would like to install SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP8 on Windows 2008 R2 with Oracle.

Which installation software should be used therefore SAPINST or SWPM?

If SWPM, what are the advantages here?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have to install solutionmanager 7.1.

I will use the software provisioning manager.

There i can choose two versions, netweaver 7.0 or netweaver 7.1 and higher.

My question is: Wich netweaver version can i use?

Is it possible to install netweaver 7.4?

Is there any documentaion i can get?

Thanks Daniel

former_member203438
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

please  check the PAM matrix for related those products. Still  If you have any doubts please revert back here

thanks

R@J..!!!

0 Kudos

Hi,

Im sorry but i can't find anything about the netweaver.

I will use win server 2012 r2 and  the Oracle database11,2.

I can't find Anything abot the netweaver.

Thanks Daniel

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Solution Manager 7.1 SR1 is based on SAP NetWeaver 7.02.
Therefore, to install a Solution Manager 7.1 SR1, you should use 70SWPM10SP* tool.

For further information, please read the following SAP note:

1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0

70SWPM has an option for Solution Manager 7.1 SR1. You must select this option to perform SAP installation and/or System Copy of Solution Manager.

Also, according to PAM, you con only install a Solution Manager 7.1 on Windows 2012 using SAP Kernel 7.21 EXT during the installation:

In SLToolset page you can download the SWPM tool and the SAP Kernel media.

Regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Active Global Support

former_member190691
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

SWPM is the new software to install SAP BusinessSuite solutions, NetWeaver and Solution Manager. Also allow you perform task like: copy system, install aditional instances, uninstall, and so on.

You should use SWPM.

Regards.

Fernando.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I tried to start implementing Solution Manager 7.1 release 1 on one of our servers using 70SWPM package however, I cannot see options to install the Central Server. Do you have any idea how can i proceed?

Thanks and cheers!

henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

What is the netweaver version that you are trying to implement. I hope its is Netweaver 7.30 or greater.

So, if it is netweaver 7.30 we have to use the software SWPM*.SAR instead of 70SWPM*.SAR. Try it with SWPM*.SAR, hope it will resolve your error.

Cheers,

Sri Krishna Kanna

former_member203438
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Depends on your Netweaver Versio n you need to download SWPM so please follow the below points so that you will get an idea:

70SWPM10SPXX*.SAR is for Products Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Platform

SWPM10SPXX*.SAR is for Products Based on Platform other than NetWeaver 7.0 i.e. NetWeaver 7.1/ 7.2/ 7.3/ 7.4 & HANA

AS per my knowledge you need to download SWPM10SPXX* for install the SOLMAN 7.1

still you have any doubts please share here.

please follow the below link for clear information

THANKS

R@J......

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello R@j,

In fact, Solution Manager 7.1 SR1 is based on SAP NetWeaver 7.02.
Therefore, to install a Solution Manager 7.1 SR1, you should use 70SWPM10SP* tool, not SWPM10SP*.

Regards,

Henrique Girardi

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Helo Alex,

Last year, SAP has released a new installation tool: Software Provisioning Manager 1.0. For your reference please check the SAP note:

#1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0

SWPM is the new name of SAPinst. It works as the same way, but it has all the latest improvements, updates and corrections. This is the reason our development team asks to use this tool instead of the old medias.

The SAP note #1680045 shows all the systems that can be installed with the tool. Also it poinst a page where you can download the SWPM and the guides as well.

SAP always recommends to use the newest tool available, once they have the latest corrections available. If you check the SAP Marketplace, the installation medias are not available anymore for download. Also refer SAP note #1589311, which indicates that SWPM must be used.

As you want to install a Solution Manager 7.1 and it is based on SAP NetWeaver 7.02, then you need to download the 70SWPM. You can dowlonad it in the site http://www.service.sap.com/sltoolset.

After downloading you can extract it in a local directory. You will see the executable sapinst. Then you just need to run it to perform the installtion.

I also suggest you to download the Installation Guide to be used as reference.

You can find the guide at:

http://www.service.sap.com/sltooolset ->

Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 ->

[Scroll down the page] Software Provisioning Manager ->

Installing Systems Based on NW 7.0/7.0 EHPs-SW Prov. Mgr.1.0

I hope this information can be helpful, otherwise please let me know.

Best Regards,

Henrique Girardi

former_member203438
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

you can install using SWPM you will get some advantages with SWPM for this u follow the below link and if u want install solman using SWPM please follow the requirements

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2013/02/12/sap-solution-manager...

you need below components for installation of SOLMAN 7.1 using SWPM

1. SWPM its working like a installation master no need to download installation master

2. EXPORTS

3. Kernels

4. Java component

5. Oracle

6. Oracle Client

here SWPM tool you will get under Software downloads center -installation and upgrades--a-z index--solution manager--solution manager 7.1----SOFTWARE PROVISIONING MGR 1.0

just click on that select which your operating system then download and install SOLMAN using swpm.

if you need any help while installation or else please ask freely

ALL THE BEST

Regards

R@J..!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi R@J K,

I have downloaded now the 70SWPM.SAR file. How do I start installing Solman Using that? Should i extract first the file using sapcar? Since it is not in a zip file.

Thank you!

Regards,

AJ

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello AJ,

Check the Installation guide for the complete information. Check the section "Running the Installer" .

Yes, you have to unpack the file and then start the installer (In the Guide the term Installer is used for the SWPM). So I am using the same to avoid any misunderstanding.

Best Regards,

Gaurav

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You also have to download the other installation media for the SWPM to use, as the SWPM is just the installation GUI.

former_member203438
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi AJ,

first you have to extract that SWPM file using sapcar and then run the sapinst.exe after follow the steps that have mentioned in instalation guide although i f u will get any error please share here.

thanks

R@J..!!!

former_member183107
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Using SWPM is new and may generate many errors related to java and Kernel:-

Here are my findings:-

if  u want to install  solution manager first download latest SWPM from service market place and SOLMAN software with latest SWPM kernel only and do not use Installation master.

so now no need to install  any kind of java on your OS.Now Directly open SWPM because The SAP already inbuilt the JAVA in SWPM.so while installing SAP automatically the JAVA installed and also you have to install Oracle between SAP installation.

if already install java on OS please remove,if u will continue you will get the error at start JAVA stage.and also you will get some errors in Import abap state also.

So, we can still go with sapinst if we are not in mood to try new things

former_member183107
Contributor
0 Kudos

Since , we cannot find the SAP Installation Master for our SAP Product based on SAP Netweaver 7.0 SR3 (SP14) or greater.

we would have to go with the SWPM-->

Advantages:-

The advantage of this is that we can now update the software provisioning manager and associated control files independently of the media release cycles.

For you, this means it is no longer required that you patch the Installation Master media with the latest SAPinst as you had to in the past nor do you have to update / modify the control files either as would often have been required prior to installation. In fact the Installation Master media have been retired for all releases as of SAP Netweaver 7.0 SR3.

The only requirement now is that you ensure that you always use the latest release of the software provisioning manager with respect to the Release, SP and Patch Level.

The software provisioning manager is available in two options.

1. SWPM*.SAR: For SAP Netweaver 7.30 or greater based SAP systems.
  2. 70SWPM*.SAR: For SAP Netweaver 7.0 SR3 or greater based SAP systems including all Enhancement Packages, such as SAP Solution Manager 7.1 which is based  on SAP Netweaver 7.0 EHP 2.

In order to avoid confusion for you the customer we still refer to the software provisioning manager as SAPinst in documentation. The SAPinst command line switches have not been depreciated or modified in any manner such as the USE_VIRTUAL_HOSTNAME switch and in addition the software provisioning manger will refer to itself as SAPinst in all GUI screens that you encounter.