cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection with name INT:flushstats

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

in IQ 15.4 ESD#3 we have a process with the following sp_iqconnection and sp_iqcontext. It seems it is a failed system process and I need to find why it appears and how to remove it. I cannot kill it and for the moment I need to restart IQ. I shall enable some monitoring in order to catch the moment it appers, but maybe someone may help us resolve this

Thank you in advance

Kimon Moschandreou

sp_iqconnection

ConnHandleNameUseridLastReqTimeReqTypeIQCmdTypeLastIQCmdTimeIQCursorsLowestIQCursorStateIQthreadsTxnIDConnCreateTimeTempTableSpaceKBTempWorkSpaceKBIQconnIDsatoiq_countiqtosa_countCommLinkNodeAddrLastIdleMPXServerNameLSName
1000027833INT: FlushStatsunknown (0)NONE0001-01-01 00:00:00.00NONE002013-04-17 07:42:52.0003072520NANA0(NULL)(NULL)

sp_iqcontext

ConnOrCursorConnHandleNameUseridnumIQCursorsIQthreadsTxnIDConnOrCurCreateTimeIQconnIDIQGovernPriorityCmdLineAttribute
CONNECTION1000027833misSYS0002013-04-17 07:42:52.030725No commandNO COMMANDNULL

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Can you also let us know how large the catalog (.db) and transaction log (.log) files are?  I have been seeing this issue at another customer where the transaction log is rather large. 

Also, send us the contents of your CFG file.  That same customer also had issues with there not being enough threads in the catalog to process this.

Once the tran log was pruned and catalog thread resources increased the issue "appears" to have gone away.

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

.db is 28MB and .log 14MB, but the number of threads is not set, there is neither -gn or -iqmt in the cfg. I shall monitor the number of used threads  during the day not it uses 371 out of 917. In the past (version 12.7) we had a thread issue (IQ freezing when number of used threads was reaching the limit) and we had set a really big value which was removed when the server moved to a machine having the double cores (from 4 to 😎 At this point we found that without any setting in cfg the system was never using more than 60% of the default number of threads and we removed -iqmt. I am afraid we should be more careful and had set some value after going to IQ 15.4

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

You can check -gn  value from ..stderr and then adjust it to atleast  1.5 times gm value

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Generally, you don't need to set -iqmt.  So that is fine.  Not having -gn set in IQ 15 is not recommended.  We documented that we want -gn set to 1.5 x -gm.  It wasn't implemented in certain versions start_iq, so its up to customers to put it in there right now.

Your log file and catalog don't look big at all, so that's not the issue.

Are you sure that all 8 are true cores?  If the machine has hyperthreading turned on this will make IQ think there are 2x as many cores.  All sizing is based on physical cores, so when we see 2x we size for 2x.  If you have hyperthreading enabled, we urge customers to set -iqnumbercpus to match the physical core count.  If you are unsure, you can always run $SYBASE/SYSAM-2_0/bin/cpuinfo.  That will list the number of physical and logical cores.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

After adding -gn in cfg the phantom process didn't reappear. I keep monitoring it thank you very much for your help

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am going to set -gn to 1,5*-gm, thank you for the notice.

Concerning the CPUs, yes they are physical cores, hyperthreading is disabled

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

INT:FlushStats internal connection from mpx event connection such as ev_opendb, ev_iqmpxstatus (internal procedures used by the inter node communication layer to keep nodes in an mpx in sync. Internal conneciton cann't be killed, Did you recently upgraded your server? did you alter database upgrade using dbisql

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Saroj,

The server was recently updated from 12.7 version to 15.4. Should we run alter database upgrade?

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

how server was upgraded? please follow complete upgrade instructions from installation guide. Save copy of .db and .log. Coordinator should be started with -iqmpx_sn 1 and -iqro 1 and restrict user access to IQ server. and run alter database upgrade using dbisql

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a simplex and the upgrade was done by following this http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc30056.1540/doc/html/san12...

There is no "alter database upgrade" since we had a 12.7 IQ and migrated to 15.4. The migration took place during the weekend and this phantom appeared during monday night after a day of extensive monitoring. The specified ConnHandle, IQconnID do not appear in iqmsg at all. On Tuesday we restrted IQ in order to remove this process but during the night another phantom appearred, again without any connhandle or IQconnID mentioned in iqmsg. This is the phantom I mention in this case. Yesterday I had an event running for the whole day recording every one minute sp_iqconnection in a table in order to catch a new phantom, but no phantom appeared. We know that we can remove it with an IQ restart but I am afraid it will appear again if we don't find an explanation. We are lucky it doesn't create any versions

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

And also make sure -gn is set to 1.5 times the value of -gm

kimon_moschandreou
Contributor
0 Kudos

-gn is not set and I am going to do it.

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Can you also let us know how large the catalog (.db) and transaction log (.log) files are?  I have been seeing this issue at another customer where the transaction log is rather large. 

Also, send us the contents of your CFG file.  That same customer also had issues with there not being enough threads in the catalog to process this.

Once the tran log was pruned and catalog thread resources increased the issue "appears" to have gone away.

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

INT:flushstats is internal event and is being investigated by engineering. increasing -gn value and managing tran log might fix this issue.

0 Kudos

The next time you see the phantom process and it has been around for a while, try executing drop connection , if that fails then can you collect two pstacks at 5 minute intervals. I would like to see what the threads are processing at the time. 

0 Kudos

apologies, since this is an internal connection, drop connection will not work. Just collect 2 pstacks at 5 min interval after you see the connection around for more than an hour or so.