cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficient way for Monitoring of Availability of SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

We would like to set up the availability monitoring for several SAP systems centrally from SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP8.

This should not only include the check/ping of message server, but also whether or not the certain users can log on into the system and work there.

What is the best way to do this? (CCMSPING, Connection Monitoring, End-user Experience approach, other)?

We would like to avoid failing alerts (e.g. in case of some non-recurring network issues), because we have 24 hours availability and alerts should be also generated on-call duty/out of office time.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

I recommend to install Diagnostics Agents and configure Technical Monitoring.

Please check this page for Technical Monitoring: System Monitoring - How-to Guides

Regards,
Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

A little bit more information will be very appreciated.

What are the advantages of Technical Monitoring/MAI compared with CCMSPING agent regarding availability monitoring?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Still doubting to go for MAI?

Don't!

The advantages are numerous, probably too many to mention.

I will quote the textbook of E2E120 course.

"The new Monitoring and alring Infrastructure will become the new standard for system monitoring within SAP Solution Manager.

The Old CCMS-based work center is still available, the monitoring functions within CCMS are also still available and will be maintained (by bug-fixing)".

This means, no development will be done anymore on CCMS.

CCMS ping agent is just one more agent, SMD agent is already needed for diagnostics, so why not utilize it better?

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Some more advantages and comparision of old ccms and new mai here

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechOps/SysMon+FAQ+02

Please check

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Many thanks!

But the focus still is the availability monitoring of several SAP systems.

Which new functions does provide the new MAI in addition/compared with CCMS-based approach (CCMSPING agent)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, one advantage is not having to install the ccms agent.

Other then that, configuration of the MAI is a lot easier, especially when you want it to generate alerts and/or notifications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

With which agent/method does the new MAI test the availability of certain SAP systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Various checks can be performed:

DB Availability

OS Availability

System Availability

Instance Availability

I've added a few screenshots that might give you an impression.

Usually the specific metric will have a description what agent/connection is used to get the info.

But all you need are SMD and Host Agents

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

Hello David,

thanks for the info.I was using the above for the same.I am on  SP07.

and getting the Alerts.

T&R,

LK