cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Migration/Copy questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have a solution manager 7.01 system which I need to "bring" onto new hardware. Therefore I found the "system copy and migration" guide here on sdn (http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8324) which is good so far.

My questions are the following:

Source System:

• installed on a Windows 2003, 32bit OS with SAPDB
  • Solution Manager ABAP instance only, updated from Solution Manager 7.0 to 7.01 SPS 24
  • non-unicode sap system

Target System:

• the target machine will be a Windows 2008 RC2, 64bit system
  • new installation of SAP system has to be unicode?!

What I read so far is, that a new SAP Solution Manager installation 7.01 consists always of an ABAP AND Java stack. What is the best way to achieve this?

Any hints or experiences would be great!

Regards,

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206167
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Andreas,

Solution Manager 7.0 is a double stack aplication, please check in MMC console for the java stack, it's installer doesn't have Non Unicode option as I remember. Please check in SAP Gui ==> System ==> Status to see if the system is in Unicode. If it doesn't you have to perform a Unicode conversión with transaction SPUMG. Then import the target System as Unicode and since is a doublé stack installation you will have to Export DVD'S one for the java stack and one for the ABAP stack.

Let me know

kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jose,

thx for your answer. As I said before this is really a non-unicode system as it was upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0 which then became SolMan 7.0.

I did an EhP Upgrade to 7.01 which is the currently running system configuration. And this a pure ABAP stack.

I am currently trying to install the Java-Addin, as the system migration guide told me to do so. The first of the three steps went fine, currently the second on (Creating the DB instance) is hanging for a long time at the step "Import Java dump", while the logs do not show any error. The system is working (at least the java process in the task manager).

Anyone know how long this import java dump phase will last?

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jose,

I installed the Java-Addin as described in the guide which finally went fine.

So I started to export the system which generates an export directory with two folders, ABAP and JAVA. The export was successful.

Now I am on my target machine, described in my first post, and started the installer with the option "Software Life-Cycle Options -> System Copy -> MaxDB -> Target System Installation -> Central System -> Based on ASP ABAP and AS Java -> Central System".

Then the installer asked for the installation method where I selected the first option (Standard System Copy / Migration (load based). In the next screens it asked for the migration export which I pointed to the top export directory. Afterwards it asked for MaxDB RDBMS which I pointed to the installation disc. After that step again it asked for migration export, but here it does expect the label "SAP:JMIG:701:*.*.*". But the label in the export java folder is "SAP:JMIG:70:*.*.*" which causes a problem!!!

All the subfolders of export/java have a label containing "70" and not "701".

What is going wrong here? I am using the same installation disc / bluray for export as it was for the import (No. 51037376).

Is this a problem with the sap version?

Would be great if someone could give me any hints?!

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I managed to install the system copy with import by changing the LABEL.ASC files in all respective folders under <export>\JAVA\.

The installation finished successfully. Afterwards i started the transaction SICK and SM28, but both give me this error message:

This is a windows server 2008 rc2 system and I thought this would be no problem to install the system here.

What should I do? Do I have to update the kernel? Which one will work for this configuration?

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Import Java dump can take more time sometimes. Did you check the log file at the backend or the temp directory? Can you make sure you have enough swap space available. Paging size should be a minimum of 20GB.

Regards

Aditya

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas

Looking at the PAM for SolMan 7.0 EhP1 for MaxDB on Win2008 RC2 shows that the kernel 7.01 is no longer supported since 31.08.2012.

Looking at swdc, it looks like the kernel DVD for solman 7.0 EhP1 is from 2011...

I would advise you to try the 7.20 EXT on your target system.

Thanks and regards

Francois

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Francois,

thx for the hint. I meanwhile updated the kernel in the target system from 32 to 196, restarted the system and the installation check went fine. So indeed, the kernel version was an old one.

As I have two other instances to copy over to the new environment which installation media should I use? The other systems are still on kernel 6.40 level 171 (both are ERP ECC 5.00).

Regards,

Andreas

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas

glad I could help.

your question on the 2 ECC5.0 systems system copy should be in a new thread.

I havent used ECC 5.0 for for more than 2 years now but I remember doing homogenous system copies not even using the SAP installation media at that time [i.e. creation of directory strctures manually + use db duplication tools [brtools or rman etc.]... unless you're going to some new hardware, in that case a os/db migration scenario would apply and in that case you will need the relevant media but please note that ECC 5.0 has reached its End of Extended Maintenance: 31.03.2013  ... so you wont be able to find the master DVD... you just need to consider an upgrade asap...

Thanks

Francois

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member191911
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

It would be best in your case to first execute the heterogeneous system copy (and Unicode migration) to your new hardware and when it's successfully migrated, you can install the java add-in.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

thx for the answer. Is it really possible to do the Java Add-In Installation afterwards. What I read here in other discussions is that when installating the target system you only have the option of installation of an ABAP and Java stack?!

Can you describe me how I should do it with your suggestion?

Thx and regards,

Andreas

former_member191911
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

In that case - but that is an assumption - the 2nd part of your system copy (when the installation takes place) will take care of the java installation and only import the ABAP part.

But as said, that's an assumption..

Kr. Mark