cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've installed HANA on a sandbox to do some learning, so no production on this one.  I got to the point of upgrading, and did get SUM to update, but the HANA code itself is at 1.00.46.46 and won't update.  In Studio it shows that as the current version, but the Target version is "not available".

Some other things updated, so I believe I've got things configured correctly. 

What would cause it to not get the Target version for the: DB, Studio, Client and SAP Host Agent?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi tim.

What your target version / revision ?

I usually put the medias in directory usr/sap/trans, unpack and setup the rigth permission and when i ran the SUM it show the target.

Do you take all steps above ?

Regards,

Edinaldo Jr.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was just trying to have it automatically update to the latest over the internet. I currently have 1.00.46.46.   I haven't got any other media.

EdinaldoJr
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

AS you know there are two way to update the SAP HANA:

- Automatically , but for it you need to setup the SMP configuration with user and password, etc....

- Mannually, with files off line ( you should download it before the update process).

I think probaly you have some missed configuration in your automatically process, my advice will be you do it mannualy.

Rgs,

Edinaldo Junior

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fair enough.  Since this is my learning experience I'll do that while also looking into what configuration steps I might have missed.  I have been assuming that since SUM got updated I must have entered the ID/PW already.

I'll look for the packages I need to download.

0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Did you manage to update your system? In case of problems, having a closer look into the SUM logfile in /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/log/lmtp.log reveals a more detailed error description than shown in Lifecycle Management.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

You can use below doc for updateing hana mannually.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-40004

Best Regards,

Atul

0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

The database should only be udpated using SUM, this also recommended by recent update guides available at help.sap.com/hana_appliance. Using the SL tools like SUM and hanaconfig is mandatory as of SPS5. It might be easier to call hdbupd directly, but doing it this way LM_STRUCTURE contents are not updated which can cause even more problems (e.g. hostagents in a distributed system will not be patched) and inconsitencies in landscape description.

Best regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmmm...   that doesn't sound good.  I downloaded the v53 code and unpacked it and pointed the update to it.  I don't think I was doing it right because it either didn't find anything, or said that I could update from version 1.00.46.46 to version 1.00.999.0.

I did end up running hdbupd from the v53 pack and it worked easily, or so I thought until I saw your note

0 Kudos

Dear Tim,

It is not as bad as it sounds, however, the problems you are facing with SUM should be corrected in any case. To be more specific, hdbupd updates the database only. The HANA Client, HANA Studio (repository) and the hostagent are not touched by hdbupd. Especially in distributed systems, SUM takes care that all these components are updated on the other hosts too. Outdated clients and hostagent in turn can cause problems. If you have to do that manually, you require access to OS level in order to install these packages which is not always available.

In conclusion, it will be easier and less error-prone to update the database in standardized SUM environment (once it is set up correctly).

Best regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I did notice the others didn't get upgraded.  I'll have to come back to this shortly and see what's not set up correctly.  

I did have a look at the SUM logfile in /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/log/lmtp.log.  It does show the the DB server at 1.00.53 and the Client/Studio at 1.00.46, but I see where it says "No need to update the system. The current SP level of the system is the latest one available on SAP Service Marketplace"

Since 53 at least was the latest, that's a little puzzling.