SAP for Oil, Gas, and Energy Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and navigate the evolving energy landscape. Join the conversation today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do oil and gas companies track their tubular goods?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to find out for a new customer how our existing customers are managing their tubular materials.  I am grouping line pipe, tubing, and casing into the category of tubulars for this question.  As the length of each pipe can vary from piece to piece, the recognized industry practice in the US is to capture both the linear measurement of each piece of pipe as well as the count.  Hence the company might have 50 joints (unit of measure is items) of 9-5/8" 53.5# P-110 LT&C Rg 3 which is also measured in length as total of 1497 ft. 

The customer is wanting the material to be recorded with both of the UOM required, so that they maintain length and joints.  As the pipe is priced on the UOM length, the count is a secondary UOM but still important to the company.  I would appreciate feedback on how our existing customers are recording this information when they are processing invoices, and material movements to/from inventory. 

Regards,

Gene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gene,

You can check the IS OIL downstream HPM functionality, where SAP has given the provision to use different UOM and you can use those UOM in t=your transactions. There is a UOM gr and Conversion group functionality where your used UOM will automatically get converted in to the base uom of the material. So you can have record in SKU as well as other unit of measures too.

Let me know if you need more clarifications on these.

Regards,

jeet

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gene,

I am looking for an answer to the same question.  From my research, it appears like the HPM functionality of IS-Oil is used to track the dual units of measurement for the pipe materials while in inventory, even if this is a slight misusage of its intended function. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gene,

You can check the IS OIL downstream HPM functionality, where SAP has given the provision to use different UOM and you can use those UOM in t=your transactions. There is a UOM gr and Conversion group functionality where your used UOM will automatically get converted in to the base uom of the material. So you can have record in SKU as well as other unit of measures too.

Let me know if you need more clarifications on these.

Regards,

jeet