cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup type "datafile incr"

0 Kudos

Databases are Oracle version 11.2.0.3.  We run our backups using Netbackup which calls a script that calls BRBACKUP which calls RMAN.  Backups are all to a tape library.

I was looking at the output of the following query on our systems.

select end_time, to_char(output_bytes/(1024),'999999999999999.99') "Backup Size (KB)",input_type

from v$rman_backup_job_details order by 1 asc;

On most databases all of our backups show as input_type "DB INCR" but on a couple of them the level 0 incremental (full backup in BRTOOLS) shows up in this listing as a "DATAFILE INCR".  The other backups on this same system show up as "DB INCR".   I'm wondering why this is different on some systems.  Is there a difference between the two types?  I don't find any references to the "DATAFILE INCR" backup type on the web, on Oracle support, or on service.sap.com. 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

> I'm wondering why this is different on some systems. Is there a difference between the two types?

Yes, there is a difference, but not necessarily .. as always it depends

You can backup the whole database for further incremental (level 1) backups by running a RMAN command like "backup incremental level 0 database". In such cases you will see the INPUT_TYPE "DB INCR" as the whole database (= all data files) is backed up automatically.

But you can also backup individual data files for further incremental (level 1) backups by running a RMAN command like "backup incremental level 0 datafile 1". In such cases you will see the INPUT_TYPE "DATAFILE INCR" as only only one data file is backed up. In such procedures you need to specify all data files manually to have a "whole database backup".

The BR*Tools are a little bit sketchy in such scenarios, but you will see the full RMAN details, if you enable tracing for the BR*Tools (environment variable BR_TRACE 15). I am pretty sure, that the BR*Tools are using the second method and specify all the corresponding data files manually.

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos

Thanks!  I thought it must be as you said and that I just wasn't seeing all the details.  I'll turn the tracing on/up just to be sure.

Answers (0)