Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing web services for leave process

arun_ev
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are looking to make a webesrvice for the leave process in ESS.

1. Are there any standard webservices that SAP provides for this process in ECC6? If yes, how do i access them in the portal?(I am unable to find the services in SICF)

2. If there are no standard webservices then i would like to make the BAPI's that SAP uses in the standard ESS package in portal and make them as web services. When i try to make it as a web service i get a error that web service cannot be created. Any pointers to resolve this error?

3. Is there any standard URL that i can pass in the portal for a WSDL system and access all the webservices available in ECC6 through thus URL.(Something like a web service repository).

Thanks in advance,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

regarding question 3: use BSP application WEBSERVICEBROWSER

here you'll find an answer to your question 2: all BAPIs are automatically exposed as webservices! this is both good and bad - the good thing being that you have only little to do; the bad thing being that the interfaces of BAPIs are often ugly compared to webservice best practices (data type/parameter names carrying some very SAP specific semantics - what's a MANDT or ERDAT for anyone outside SAP supposed to mean?) and another bad thing being e.g. the fact that it is very unusual in the webservice world to explicitely call a commit service mystically coupled to the original BAPI call

so I'd advise to use the coding inside the BAPI as a template for your own webservice implementation cleaning up the interface and including the commit.

regarding 1) I think the answer is NO. But I am not sure about that since I think webservices will be delivered with various service packs, enhancement packages and whatever delivery possibilities there are.

my 2 cents,

anton

arun_ev
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anton,

Thanks a lot for you quick response. Thanks for the info while using a BAPI, will keep this in mind before we decide to use the BAPI. We are looking at the option of using Visual Composer for the development. We are triying to create the WSDL System as per you suggestion using the URL

<b>http://<server>.<domain>:<httpport>/sap/bc/bsp/sap/webservicebrowser</b>

But this system fails in the connection tests in the portal with the error message

<b>Results

Retrieval of default alias successful

Connection failed. Make sure user mapping is set correctly and all connection properties are correct.</b>

Iam sure of the user mapping because when i connect with the URL

<b>http://<server>.<domain>:<httpport>/sap/bc/bsp/sap/webservicebrowser/search.html</b> i get a page that shows a huge list of services.

But how can i access all these services in Visual Composer through a single system created in the portal?

Thanks again

Arun E V

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I am sorry I can neither reproduce your error message nor do I understand what you mean with

<i>But how can i access all these services in Visual Composer through a single system created in the portal?</i>

on the page at .../sap/bc/bsp/sap/webservicebrowser/search.html you find a listing of all the webservices. to the right of each service if you hover over the string "wsdl" you find the WSDL URL of that service. If you enter that URL in your development environment's webservice client "wizard" it is supposed to create the proxy classes for you.

If you mean to browse the serices from within your development environment, I don't believe that this can work since the webservices on the ABAP WAS are not in any kind of standardized repository, e.g. a UDDI or something.

So, I suppose you have to browse the BSP-page 'manually', find a suitable service, copy the WSDL URL to your service proxy wizard and create it that way.

regards,

anton

arun_ev
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi anton,

Appreciate you qouick resposne. My question was with respect to a repository for webervices in ABAP. I was looking if a creation of a single sytem is possible so that we can access all the webservices from there similar to the way we access BAPI's in visual composer. Now that we have to browse manually this arises one more question in my mind. When we look at the leave process the entire functionality is achieved through a set of BAPI's defined in the function goup. Now what will be a best approach - creating a webservice out of every BAPI or making a webservice out of the <u><b>'function group'</b></u> that holds these BAPI's?

Thanks a lot,

Arun