cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time taken for client Export and Import?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having a doubt that, does the client export or import depend on the HW and Memory?

I had a question if our database size is 2TB, then how much time will it take to Export and for Import?

If any body have any idea regarding the same can you please give brief explanation based on different HW, RAM and HDD and time it takes for both export and import? Can I get exact info if any one has performed the same with time it has took for export and import?

by

CH.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CH,

This is virtually impossible to answer because there are so many variables, for example:

Layout of DB on disks

Speed of disks

Number of export jobs

Hardware performance

RAM

You need to try this and record the information.  But a rough estimate is that the import takes 20-50% longer than the export.

Regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

Thank you so much for the reply and given nice info.

So finally export and depends on many factors that you have mentioned above.

Can you give me the exact statistics that you had, when you performed this export and import, because I just want to know, in general how much time will that take just for an idea?

plz share the details as follow...

Ex:fill the details with that you performed...

DB size=

Hardware=

Speed of disks=

RAM=

Time=

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Even I was looking for the same.

a general time it takes for Export and Import and of course it depends on several factors but can any one paste the details of their working experience...

thanks in advance

Best Regards

Ananya G.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Akshay_G
Contributor
0 Kudos

In response to this, for a 2TB Database the export/import of a client wouldn't be a cake walk.

We used to do client copies some time back (same export/ import) from our PRD to QA clients, and PRD was 7~8 TBs. However the Source client must have been around 30-40 % still it was a tough job of 3-4 days with issues and resume thing going on back and forth.

Due to this we had setup TDMS (Test Data Migration System) to control the amount of client data to be exported/imported.

At the end, what matters how pressing is your requirement and how willing are you to go for it.

For such huge clients, we prefer doing System Copies (Refresh) now once/twice a year.

I would anticipate as below:

RAM: 16 GB

CPU: 2 Dual Core

DB: 4 TB

It should take around 2-3 Days. And i bet, this is very open ended, if the tables/indexes and stuff are very spattered, it could be disappointing and the same goes for closely densed.

All the best for which ever way you choose to go.

Regards,

Akshay.