cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP 4.0B on V7r1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As part of our HA/DR strategy we want to consider the possibility of running a 4.0B SAP system on a v7r1 box. Granted that we are running the 4.0B system on a v5r4 system and that according to note #68440 there is no kernel patch for a 4.0B EXT kernel for v6r1 or V7r1 I wondered if anyone had ever tried this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

you will not have much luck with that. Between V5R4 and IBM i 6.1, IBM has changed a lot in the low-level code of the system (Licensed Internal Code), so that all executables needed retranslation. If I remember correctly, 4.0B was shipped with removed observability, so retranslation for the 4.0B kernel on IBM i 6.1 or 7.1 may not be possible.

In addition, SAP had to adopt several operating system changes in kernel code to run with IBM i 6.1. This has resulted in 5 to 10 patches per kernel release which need to be installed (documented in SAP Note 1148480). These changes have only been done for 4.6D and higher.

So IBM i V5R4 is the latest release on which a 4.0B kernel can run.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christian,

I rather feared that was the case. I worked on the original install in 99 and the client is still at 4.0b. They are considering their options.

Answers (0)