cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are points given when a content is Bookmarked?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my opinion when a content (discussion, document etc.) is bookmarked, then the author of that content should get points.

Just like when the "Like" button is pressed.

Is that currently happening?

If not, could this be considered by the SCN team?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

To read content later is exactly why I use bookmarks on SCN and I believe a lot many other people have the reason for using them. For this use of the feature, I don't think awarding points would be appropriate.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kumar,

Thank you for your post!

For discussion sake -

There are some rules based on which the points (recognition system) works.

E.g. If the "Like" button is pressed once, the content owner gets 2 points.

Like means like and not award points. But the rules of the recognition system have been set, to allocate points (and 2 in number).

So saying that "Bookmark" functionality has a different function / purpose and therefore should not be used to award points is incorrect.

In other words, it is a matter of how the recognition system is set-up (by SCN).

Jurgen has given a "perspective" that he bookmarks "bad" content.

This now brings my initial idea (i.e. If a content is bookmarked, points should be given to the content owner) in "doubt territory".

I hope you understand my point of reasoning w.r.t. your post.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey T W,

Like means like, yes, but if someone 'likes' some content, it means they are appreciating something about the content. So, awarding or allocating points sounds logical as it's an incentive for people to post good stuff.

On the other hand, bookmarking may be for various reasons and not necessarily for appreciating content. And therefore, it may not be fair to award points for bookmarking.

I don't bookmark 'bad' content yet but only content that I don't have time to read immediately. Later on when I read bookmarked content, I may or may not like it depending upon how I find it.

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

Thanks for starting this discussion. I agree with you that Bookmarks send a strong message. Someone who bookmarks a piece of content wants to keep track of it, come back to it. For me it's an indication of outstanding quality. That's why I was surprised when said above that he bookmarks bad content too. Hum, it's amazing how much I still learn about the use of the Jive platform!

I personally would not like to bookmark bad content, because it then shows in my user profile (Bookmarks tab) and I wouldn't want to be associated with it. But that's my personal opinion, I certainly don't think you should think the same way Juergen!

This reminds me of the "Share" functionality and how I was using it to share good content, when someone else was using it to share abuse within the SCN team. Definitely two different cases. We no longer give points when your content was shared, for that particular reason.

We don't give points for bookmarks, although I would like to do so, because currently you could bookmark your own content and get the points for it.

Bookmarks are part of a couple of missions, but not many and they are hidden until earned to keep the surprise... so I will not share anything else at this point 😉

Best,
Laure

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Laure,

Thank you for your post!

In addition to the above point, I feel the need to bookmark specific posts.

The reasons are similar to bookmarking a thread.

I think, currently bookmarking a particular post is not possible.

Please give your thoughts on this.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You should be able to bookmark blog posts, documents and discussions.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jason,

Say, I like a particular post (e.g. Laure Cetin's above post, in this thread); I would like to book mark that particular post (not the thread). Is it possible?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

No, replies on discussions and comments on blogs/documents cannot be bookmarked.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

T W,

I understand where you're coming from. Even I've felt like bookmarking a particular reply in a thread for the simple reason that I would like to be able to get to that response quickly for references purposes in future.

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laure,

Just came across this discussion, while searching on the same topic.

I've found your reply is apt.

In the Activity page under Latest acclaims, Bookmarks are also a part, so it is an acclaim.

Hope you'd find a solution soon to give some credits to this acclaim.

Jogeswara Rao K

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kumar,

Thinking (or re-thinking) about book-marking a particular post, I have a work-around for it.

As I am getting email notifications of posts, the once which I would like to revisit, I mark those emails.

Ofcourse, this shall work only for those groups which one is "following".

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yeah, this will work only for spaces you are following and if you've chosen to get email notifications (I haven't). But good to know that it works for you.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kumar,

Thanks for specifying the "two steps" - 1. Follow and 2.get notified via email.

I had "overlooked" or forgotten to mention the second step.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently, it's not happening.  The act of liking and/or rating a piece of content is the appropriate way to evaluate it.  As Jurgen points out, content can be bookmarked for different reasons.

At the same time, the reputation program will be going through some changes soon so I suggest waiting until then to suggest anything:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi T W,

Thank you for suggesting this. I would be happy to invite and to this discussion. Laure focuses on recognition and reputation and is leading the Gamification project in SCN.

Please note that you may consider submitting this or other ideas in the SCN Innovation and Enhancements category.

Thanks,

Oxana

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I sometimes bookmark bad examples...Denkende Smilies

Is it really needed, if somebody is able to bookmark, then he should be able to find the like hyperlink as well, because it is directly beneath it.

Post it in the idea place and have the people vote.

It is directly the first entry in the innovation menu above each forum page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I didn't see this reply. Thank you Jurgen for spreading the word about Idea Place

Oxana

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

The issue is not that a member can not find the "Like" button!

For me, bookmark is different from like.

Furthermore, a content "bookmarked" could be something which I don't "like".

I might find something beneficial and important which I would read (or visit) later, for those content I use the "bookmark" button.

Why do you bookmark bad examples?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I may collect bad examples in preparation of a blog like in this one: http://scn.sap.com/community/support/blog/2013/04/03/how-to-close-a-discussion-and-why

And I actually do not like too much auto assigned points, it is the freedom of the user to like or rate some content.

6 of my 8 blogs have more bookmarks than likes, I take this as recognition too, even with a smile when I see people having bookmarked my content who usually do not like me.

There is too much focus on points. Wait a few weeks, when the new gamification is implemented, then you may get a badge if people bookmarked your content. There are plenty of options to gain recognition and to show this reputation to the rest of the community.