cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best tool to use for j2ee deployment ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've developed j2ee apps using NetWeaver Developer Studio. I am not using the component model in my applications yet.

I use the deploy tool or the Netweaver Developer Studio to deploy my application. I've read that the deploy tool will be removed from the standard tools and that SDM should be used instead for j2ee application deployment.

The problem is that with SDM you canot configure such things as Environment Ressource References or other informations contained in the ejb jar.

Also, I don't like changing the source to make a deployment in NetWeaver Developer Studio as most deployment configs are associated with the runtime environment variables.

What is the proposed solution for this ? Will SDM be adjusted in order to allow more customization in the ear file before deployment ?

Are there any other suggestions ? What do you use ?

Thanks.

Thierry Dagnino

Systems Architect

Hydro Quebec

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thierry,

I understand that you want to configure your apps in a way that you don't have to edit the deployment descriptors before the actual deployment, am I right? Then you can use substitution variables. A substitution variable is referenced as <i>${subst.var.name}</i>, e.g.[code]<env-entry>

<env-entry-name>myEnvEntry</env-entry-name>

<env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>

<env-entry-value>${my.subst.var.name}</env-entry-value>

</env-entry>[/code]For more information on configuring substitution variables, please refer to the following two links:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/85/fa673ba8ecf22fe10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/35/1cd66947184aa8915ca1831c59b6c1/frameset.htm

Hope that helps,

Vladimir

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a more standard way to do this. As far as I know , substitution variables are not standard in j2ee. I'd rather not add any new artifacts in my apps if possible.

Thanks

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Thierry,

Sorry but you want to achieve almost everything for the price of nothing Somehow you have to mark what you want to configure during deployment and substitution variables are exactly that "markers".

The standard way is to change the deployment descriptors at deploy time - that's why they are called "deployment descriptors". It's also the way the PetStore blueprint demo app from SUN uses for <a href="http://java.sun.com/blueprints/qanda/faq.html#config_files">configuration and customization</a>.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes I do want to modify the deployment descriptors. I would like to do it in one tool. I thought SDN would allow us to do this.

My problem is that the deploy tool allows it but it will be removed from the admin tools

I'm left with the SDN or developer studio.

Personnaly, I find the developer studio is not the appropriate tool for the job as it is more a development tool than an administration (deployer) tool.

Thanks Vladimir.

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Well Thierry, I see. So the answer to your questions is: Currently, in Web AS 6.40, you can still use the Deploy Tool for this purpose. In the next releases it's planned to support this kind of apps configuration in the Web Admin and/or Visual Admin tools. But SDM is a more generic deployment tool - not only for J2EE applications - and surely it will never provide such functionality.

Hope this clarifies it at least a bit.

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

the visual admin tool allows it but I think there is a bug because the field is not modifiable...

I'll open a customer message for this.

Thanks for your help.