cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase Control Center and SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now that SAP is exerting control over the policies and procedures within Sybase, will Sybase Control Center be redesigned to be usable?  I mean, it appears to be only partially implemented, provides no historical information, limited performance metrics, no ability to create reports, allows only one 'user' at a time, et cetera.  I know in the past, a certain Sybase Partner had a temper tantrum when Sybase demonstrated SCC at TechWave.  (I was in the room when one of the reps had the fit), so will SAP be able to push back and design/develop Sybase Control Center into something useful?

I'm asking here because there isn't a forum for SCC.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, Sybase Control Center is now called SAP Control Center.  And yes, there is a concerted effort being made in developing and improving this tool and making it a tool of choice for ASE, RS, IQ, HANA among other products.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vinod   I hope it is not still being written in Flash.

Will it still be free with a licensed server product?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, HTML-5 is going to be used moving forward.  Current plan of record is that it will be free with a licensed server product.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vinod!  Are we looking at an ESTIMATED initial release this year or next year? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, We are working on a schedule for SCC/ASE support using HTML-5.  Will post an update when the schedule is finalized.  Currently, SCC/ASE will continue to support the functionality in the up-coming releases of ASE. Regards Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Have you managed to get a schedule for the new SCC?

I am having performance issue in production. Therefore I would like to be able to get an history of metrics (locks, disk IOs, number of user connections, network response time...) over a week.

Regards.

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

It would be nice to know if we're looking at 2014 or 2015 for initial release of SCC redux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent, Currently, Statistics Chart would be the way to go for history of metrics  although there is some room for improvement in that area. Regards Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, It is still in planning.  Will let you know once it is finalized. Regards Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vinod.  Will you pass on something to the Powers That Be for me?  "Hurry up!  We don't have a viable alternative"  😉

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I am testing out SCC-3_2 right now and I have one major issue - the replication server' Monitor keeps shutting down because SQL Anyware Error - 685 Resource governor for 'prepared statements' exceeded'

Do you know how to correct this?  I guess I need to log unto SCC's SQL Anywhere (but how) or is there a config file I need to adjust?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Jola

Former Member
0 Kudos

We haven't been successful in using SCC 3x in our environment.  Your best bet is probably open a case with techsupport or wait until a SCC expert sees this thread.

claude
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Adejola,

The last version is "Sybase Control Center 3.2.8 ESD1"

Sybase IQ  and SQL Anywhere  has same SCC, you can add a message error that you've.

Regards,

Claude

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've never got the chance to test it but to connect to the SCC's SQLAnywhere DB, I was advised to do the following:

1) In SCC/SCC-3_2/services/SccSADataserver/service-config.xml it lists the SQL Anywhere port, I believe the default 3638.

<set-property property="com.sybase.asa.server.port" value="3638" />

2) Shutdown the SCC server, you will need to do this to change the SQL Anywhere password.

3) Run "scc.sh --dbpassword" to change the dba password for the SCC repository DB. It will prompt you for the new dbs password and confirm it.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01677.0310/doc/html/bth12...

4) This should start SCC with the new password, with the new password you should be able to access the SQL Anywhere SCC repository DB.

isql -Udba -Pnew_password -Shostname:3638

Hope this will help you.

Vincent

javier_barthe
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jason!

I have deploy SCC in some non productive enviroments in a company a few months ago and the experience was succesful. It´s true that it has lots of rooms of improvements but nowadays  its working pretty. In this instalation that I have mentioned you I have three jobs running every 30 minutes against this servers in order to colect performance statistics and alert me in case of a wrong metrics. The alarm system with mails and scalations its quite interesting, it depends the severity and the oldness of the warning you can send another email to another range or skill person.

I create a few users, you can sincronize with an LDAP or create one locally. The process I didn´t remember but it wasn´t trivial, it was necessary to change one or two xml files.

The only bad point I remember is that I couldn´t find the way to customize the heat chart, I don´t know if this changes but it was such a pitty.

Regards Javier!