Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing VDS as a service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have two basic questions on VDS

(1)

I wanted to know which the best way to install VDS. Should it be installed on the Server (which only BASIS have access to) or on the local PC for IdM consultant to do the configuration.

If installed on local PC (just like Identity center)  I heard there are drawbacks like LDAP port closes if my local PC is shutdown. I may be wrong.

(2)

While reading the documentation, it states that You can choose between

Running the server as a Microsoft Windows service. The service must be installed as described below.

Running the server as an application. This method is available on all platforms.

What is the benefit ?

Please suggest. Thank you.

Martin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1)  The VDS should be installed on the server.  If you want to export the display to the IdM developer that can be done.  I see no reason why you would want to install a VDS on a local PC.

2)  In windows - If you install the VDS configuration as a service, you will be able to log off of windows and it will still be running.  If you run it as an application, the user's session will have to stay active.  You should install it as a service if the VDS needs to stay up and running. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Chris. This gives me a clear understanding on how the VDS is setup.

(1)  Ok, We will install VDS only on the server and export the display for the IdM consultant's local PC. The reason being, IdM Consultant does not have access to Server as it is restricted to only BASIS consultants. Moreover, it will be very hard for BASIS consultant to do all the VDS configuration without input from IdM Consultant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(2) I guess the best practise is, to always run the configuration as an Application in the beginning and once the configuration is working fine, it needs to be run as a Service. Please confirm.

I have another question seeking your expertise. This is with regard to VDS Transports. How is it normally done.

I have followed the documentation and used the Transport Tool to export/Import both Identity Centre and VDS Configuration.  As per the documentation for VDS Post-Transport task, it states that we have to run EXEC command in Targetsystem to get the configuration running in Target system

vdsext.bat exec MyVDSconfig1

I have done this step. I assume that VDS UI need no be installed in Target system for this.

My concerns are

(a) How will I change the references to external systems which are maintained inside the configuration. Should I go to "Identity Management Administration User Interface" and modify the constants before or after running the EXEC command

(b) What if something is not working at a later stage and I want to see the logs. Without the VDS UI, I wonder how this would be done.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Awaiting for your suggestions.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Yes, only on server

2) It is fine to run the configuration as a service from the beginning.  The IdM administrator will have the ability to stop and start it from the tool.

I have not used the transport tool through the VDS.  I know it is possible but I have no found the need to use it.  Each VDS configuration I have done has been built by just moving the xml file.

I have also not used the vdsext.bat command.  I only have found the need to use the GUI itself so I'm not familiar with that command.

(a) - you will have to change these on the system.  This is why I've never found a good reason to use the transport mechanism.

(b) - you can see the logs in the directory server.  They are present where the VDS tool is install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris.

These are the same reasons why I did not go with running vdsext.bat command (at a later stage). I did it the same way you described. Just wanted someone to confirm that I am doing the Transport the right way

One last question - Initially you mentioned that one could export the display to IdM developer. How can this be done in Windows environment. I have seen this in Unix environment. Are you talking about getting a cut down access to the server via Remote Desktop ?

Thanks once again.

Answers (0)