Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Designer - Object Restrictions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Firstly a bit of background:

We have taken the approach of having two types of web intelligence users - those that can create web intelligence reports and those that can only consume reports i.e. schedule them or be able to view interactively via a link or simply view instances in a reports history.

I have applied an object restriction to a specific user in the universe designer. The user is what we would call a report consumer and cannot create reports.

After applying the restriction I logged in as the user and opened a previously scheduled report that contains objects that in theory are now restricted for that user. It does not appear that they are restricted. Note that I opened one instance of the report that was scheduled before I applied the restrictions and one that was scheduled after I applied the restrictions.

What should happen when a user tries to open a previously scheduled instance of a webi report that contains objects they are not permitted to see?

What should happen when a user schedules a report themselves and that report contains objects they are not permitted to see?

What should happen when a user receives an interactive link to a report that contains objects they are not permitted to see?

My concern is that restrictions only appear to restrict the objects that a report builder has at their disposal and does not affect report "consumers."

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sujit
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

When you apply  a Object Level Restriction on the user, the user is not able to see the obect in the Objects pane atall. Nor the Column if the object is already included in the report. It does not matter who the creator of the report is...when viewing the reports it will take the report viewers rights into consideration.

On the other hand, if the 'same' report is viewed by other user who has the right to see this object, then he will see the column just fine...

Also, it does not matter which report or how the user is viewing the report.

Hope this clears your doubts...let me know if you still have any queries.

Sujit Honrao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

This answers my original question. I have just thought of another question though! How will restrictions work if a restricted object is used in the formula of a variable? Will the resulting column also not appear for a user that has a restriction against an object that is used in the variable?

Thanks again

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok I have answered my own question on this one - if a restricted object is used to create a variable then the user cannnot schedule the report.

I still have an issue though. The user cannot schedule a report that contains resticted objects but they can open an instance from hisotry that was scheduled by someone else. The restrcitions only come into play if they try to refresh the report.

How do you make the restrction apply to reports previously scheduled by someone else?

Answers (0)