Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA 7K2 vs SAS15K

Dasig
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I'm totally newbie to sap virtualisation.

We would like to run sap under VMWARE , we have the choice between two machines, one with SAS15K but less hard drive storage and the other with SATA7K2 but with biiiig hd storage?

I read that SAS is  faster than SATA.

What do you think? SAS or SATA?

Tx for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wouldn't install an ESXi with local storage at all, because you lose a lot of features unless you use the VSA. But I'd recommend ESXi landscape with shared storage.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saad,

I assume you are building a play-pen system. If this is the case then go with SATA 7200 rpm HDDs. Depending on the number and size of HDD's you should set them up in a RAID array. SATA HDD's are cheaper and bigger than SAS but they are also a little slower. With the extra space you could make a backup copy of the database, or install another play-pen environment to create a transport domain, or install a seperate java portal instance, or install solution manager. The more RAM you have available the better the system may run. 8 or 16 GB would be a good start.

If this is going to be a business production system then please use a SAN for the database volumes. The OS can run of a mirrored pair of local SAS HDD's. Also use a enterprise backup solution and test your backup and restore procedure of the local OS and the SAN database.  The SAN will provide the fastest access speed the production system will require. The SAN will also provide the expansion capability over time as the system/database grows. The size of RAM you have will be critical. The more the better and proper tuning of the database memory parameters and the SAP buffers to suit the available RAM will keep the system running efficiently. Also install Solution Manager on a different system to monitor and support your production system.

Regards,

Ben

Answers (0)