cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Kernel Patch from 700 to 720 on V5R4

0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading Kernel patch from 700 to 720 on V5R4 with ECC 6.0. We are following the below mentioned notes

We are failing in this step

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

As it says APYSIDKRN command not found.

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Madhav,

I would extract the SAP_TOOLS library from the SAPEXE sar file rather then the ILE. Also consider using a QSECOFR user rather then <SID>ADM.

Please consider that if you are installing on a double stack + NUC system you will need to download and install both the NUC and UC kernels. Always use the the NUC files to extract the SAP_TOOLS lib.

Another thing to consider is the extended kernel, I don't remember the details off hand but we were not able to install the extended kernel until recently because our OS version was not at the correct level, you might consider checking, if you are installing the extended kernel.

Steps we use:

Create SAP_TOOLS (QSEC USER)

1- CLRLIB SAP_TOOLS

2- Create SAP_TOOLS

3- ADDLIBLE  SAP_TOOLS

4- FIXSAPOWN *NONE SAP_TOOLS

Install kernel (QSEC USER)

5- ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(CLASSICUSERCONCEPT) VALUE('Y')

6- run APYSIDKRN

7- DLTSQLPKG SID(<SID>)

Regards,

Yannick C.

0 Kudos

Dear Yannick,

Thank you so much for the response.

I would extract the SAP_TOOLS library from the SAPEXE sar file rather then the ILE. Also consider using a QSECOFR user rather then <SID>ADM.

Request you to suggest if the below command would suffice the above

CALL QP2SHELL PARM('/QOpenSys/usr/bin/csh' '-c' 'SAPCAR -xvf SAPEXE.SAR iletools

ILE_TOOLS;iletools')

We are upgrading only ABAP Stack NUC system Kernel. We are using NUC SAPCAR and downloaded NUC SAPEXE AND SAPEXEDB files

And on APYDSIRKRN command

APYSIDKRN SID(DUI) ARCHIVES('KERN/*') SAVSAR(*NONE)

MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

<newkernel> = KERN (This is the directory where we have place SAPEXE.SAR,SAPEXEDB.SAR,IGS.SAR and PARTS file)

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem Madhav,

I would rename the SAPEXE.SAR to ILE.SAR, for this reason you really want to copy it to another directory something like /saptools/ILE.SAR.

Just for the record this is the note that reference me to extracting the SAP_TOOLS from the SAPEXE.SAR file (1630951).

You should use the command provided by SAP and not change it.

1. CALL QP2SHELL PARM('/QOpenSys/usr/bin/csh' '-c' 'SAPCAR -xvf ILE.SAR iletools ILE_TOOLS;iletools')

This being said you should change the SAR file name.

Once this is done check the content of the SAP_TOOLS library . Please remember to run this command once you are done with the extraction:

FIXSAPOWN *NONE SAP_TOOLS

Ours has 225 objects, you should be pretty close!

Let me know how it goes for you...

Regards,

Yannick C.

0 Kudos

Dear Yannick,

We did the same as suggested by renaming SAPEXE.SAR and building SAP_TOOLS. The result was the extraction of 225 objects in SAP_TOOLS.LIB

Further to this we have deleted the parameter

Start_Program_01

S10A28BD $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)/DLTOLDPKGS DUI

from start profile and added this to the instance profile

dbs/db4/dltoldpkg = no (OSS Note: 1657890)

Do we need to stop all instances running on that system or only the instance we are planning to upgrade

STOPSAP INSTANCE(*ALL) STARTUPSRV(*ALL) XDNLISTEN(*YES) WAIT(*YES) ENDSBS(*YES)

This command would stop all the instances running on that host, I guess. Please correct me If i am wrong.

I guess we are all set to go... but wanted to clarify the above steps and proceed with APYSIDKRN

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Madhav,

The stop SAP, well you need to stop all the instances for the SID you are upgrading, but if you have more then one "SAP System" running on a i5 server you don't need to stop the ones that you are not upgrading...

STOPSAP SID(DUI) INSTANCE(*ALL) STARTUPSRV(*ALL) XDNLISTEN(*YES) WAIT(*YES) ENDSBS(*YES)

I checked our procedure and you will have a good deal of post implementation steps.But we actually installed the new kernel in 2 steps, the first was installing SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB and then all the patches. I think this might be unnecessary, but that's how we did the first implementation.

If you decide to do the same thing the first command is:

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

and the second is:

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<patches>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*ADD) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

After which you must delete the SQL packages.

Let me know how this goes,

Regards,

Yannick C.

0 Kudos

Hi Yannick,

Greetings. After executing the following command,

APYSIDKRN SID(DUI) ARCHIVES('/KERN/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

we ran into this issue

Cannot resolve to object R3SAP400. Type and Subtype X'0401' Authority X'0000'.  

CMDMAINQ: Program is not called by QSECOFR nor adopted authority is set for SAP_TOOLS/CMDMAINQ nor is it correctly signed.

Please follow attachment of note 1031096 to install/upgrade the newest 7.20 SAPHOSTAGENT.

We logged in as <sid>adm (DUIADM)..

Would it be possible for you to help us with the detailed steps right from beginning so that we can complete this activity during the weekend.

And also help us on saving and restoring 700 kernel incase, 720 does not go clean

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Madhav,

I would download and install the latest SAPHOSTAGENT. The process is pretty straight forward so you shouldn't have any problems. We didn't have these problems because of our landscape.

Saving and restoring kernel 700, just create SAVF's. In addition to the kernel lib, you will R3<sid>400.

Also did you run the FIXSAPOWN command after extracting the SAP_TOOLS?

As for providing detailed documentation, all our documentation is in french. Additionally, our corporate policies prevent me from distributing internal documentation, so I can't send it to you...

But everything that is in our documentation I have posted it here, it's just not formatted and in a stand alone document.

Check the existence of the hostagent and the version

1- Check version (eg: /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saphostexec -version) -- we are using patch 135

General hostagent steps

1- Download the latest hostagent SAR file

2- Copy it to your IFS (eg: /usr/sap/trans/binary_patchs/hostagent)

3- Extract the SAR file (eg: /usr/sap/<SID>/exe/run/sapcar -xvf /usr/sap/trans/binary_patchs/hostagent/*.SAR)

upgrading the hostagent

4- upgrade hostagent (eg: /usr/sap/trans/binary_patchs/hostagent/saphostexec -upgrade)

Installing the hostagent

4- upgrade hostagent (eg: /usr/sap/trans/binary_patchs/hostagent/saphostexec -install)

Proceed with kernel upgrade as described in the previous messages.

Regards,

Yannick C.

0 Kudos

Hi Yannick,

We did successful installation of SAPHOSTAGENT. And the following command also went fine

APYSIDKRN SID(DUI) ARCHIVES('/KERN/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

But unfortunately we are not able to logon with sidadm and sidofr user ids.

The followings OSS Notes were followed but still no luck with the logon

Note 1509893 - IBM i: Logon
impossible - Menu library missing

Note 1470366 - IBM i: Logon to system
fails after upgrade

Not sure if we need to have Unicode kernel as well along with Non-Unicode for a Non-Unicode.

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Madhav,

You only need to install both NUC and UC kernels if you have an double stack system and your ABAP system is NUC. The java stack is always UC, therefore when you have a ABAP stack thats NUC you must install both UC and NUC to have a properly functioning system. Even if you did need both NUC and UC and would have only installed 1, this should not lock you out of the system.

When you are tempting to sign in with sidADM what is the error message? Things to check:

1- make sure users are not locked.

2- if you can log in but are immediately logged off, then chances are that you have a problem with the <sid>400 library or the sap<##><sid> library. I would recommend executing the command FIXSAPOWN this should be executed by the tool but who knows maybe something happened.

Please check the kernel upgrade log for error messages: /sapmnt/<SID>/patches/log if there are errors/warnings you will need to check to see if they can affect the user login.

Also did the instance start?

Regards,

Yannick C.

0 Kudos

Dear Yannick,

First of all, Million thanks for guiding through the process. The good news is that, the kernel is successfully upgraded from 700 (Patch level 185) to 720 (Patch level 401).

The initial logon for SIDOFR & SIDADM was resolved by re-importing the Kernel again.

After that the instance could not start and later on found that it was due to Authority issue to start SAPOSCOL and IGS.

Guess, we might need to patch IGS seperately.

As we have QAS & PRD instances to go, I will try to come out with a detailed instructions so that it might be of some use for those who might fall into my path.

Rudiger ~ Appreciate your immediate response and thank you very much

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

0 Kudos

Hi Madhav, I am in the process of  kernal upgrade from 7.0 to 7.20_ext on v7r1.

Could you please, help in providing steps that you have followed.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sid

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rdiger_hckel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Madhav,

a few questions just to make sure that all previous steps went fine:

1.) the build-up of the library SAP_TOOLS was OK?

2.) you did not forget the "ADDLIBLE SAP_TOOLS" command?

3.) please post the exact APYSIDKRN command you used - did you put the downloaded kernel lib files into the directory '<newkernel>'?

Kind regards

Rüdiger Höckel

0 Kudos

Hi Rudiger,

1.) the build-up of the library SAP_TOOLS was OK?

The SAP_TOOLS.LIB is having all the extracted files from ILE.SAR.

Request you to post the command to build SAP_TOOLS library

CRTLIB LIB('SAP_TOOLS') is the one we have used.

2.) you did not forget the "ADDLIBLE SAP_TOOLS" command?

Yes. we did add the library SAP_TOOLS for SIDADM user

3)  please post the exact APYSIDKRN command you used - did you put the downloaded kernel lib files into the directory '<newkernel>'?

We are using a directory by name 'KERN' where the downloaded SAPEXE.SAR & SAPEXEDB.SAR are available

Request you to post the series of steps to be followed, if possible so that we can compare with ours.

Thank you very much and appreciate the quick response

Thanks and Regards

Madhav

rdiger_hckel
Participant
0 Kudos

CRTLIB SAP_TOOLS is fine.

The commands in the SAP note (section "4.3 On IBM i:") are well described.

Please tell us the exact command you used - replace the <> infos with the real names:

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE)  MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

Check also the job log (iSeries) of the command

and the log file "apysidkrn<number>.log"  in directory /sapmnt/<SID>/patches/log

Kind regards

Rüdiger